cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Ongoing noise

Lonestar_North
Contributor

I posted over a year ago about noise at midand higher ISO levels with the 80D.  It seems to continue.  Is the attached shot (screen grab of the Raw file) typical of an 80D? It is very grainy shot at ISO800. By comparison the second shot (bird on a wire) is better at 320 ISO but still has what I consider too much noise.  And yes I know I can post process but I don't want to correct this much.  You can see the shots also at [Mod note: Removed link per FORUM GUIDELINES]

Thanks in advance

noise.JPG

noise2.JPG

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“Whatever exposure issues I have with the 80D I would have with the 6D but the 6D does not have this grainy/ noise issue. 80D has always had it.”

You are comparing noise from a FF sensor to noise from an ASP-C sensor, apples to oranges.

You need test shots of similar subjects using similar exposure settings. Only ISO should change as you raise one full stop at a time. Expect the 6D to be a full stop better at high ISO values.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

6D vs 80D, to me the 80D wins this contest hands down.  If there is a slight advantage to the 6D it would be at the highest, not just high, ISO settings especially since the 6D has a larger ISO range.  That slight advantage can be eliminated totally with the correct choice of lens such as the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.  This is would be more true if the 6D user is using a f2.8 lens.

The main advantage why the 80D is better is it is newer. Newer generally means better tech in the design. The FF 6D has a 20.0MP CMOS sensor but it has a modified DIGIC 5 processor. The 80D has a 24.0MP APS-C CMOS sensor with the more advanced DIGIC 6 processor. The tigher pixel density of the 80D should provide better IQ again depending on lens choice. The 80D has better DR and is better weather sealed just for kicks.

If you were comparing the 80D to the 6D Mk II it is a totally different story. My 2 cents and worth every penny. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements