cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Ongoing noise

Lonestar_North
Contributor

I posted over a year ago about noise at midand higher ISO levels with the 80D.  It seems to continue.  Is the attached shot (screen grab of the Raw file) typical of an 80D? It is very grainy shot at ISO800. By comparison the second shot (bird on a wire) is better at 320 ISO but still has what I consider too much noise.  And yes I know I can post process but I don't want to correct this much.  You can see the shots also at [Mod note: Removed link per FORUM GUIDELINES]

Thanks in advance

noise.JPG

noise2.JPG

11 REPLIES 11

The second image is so strongly backlit that it's hard to make a judgement. But my first impression of the first image is that it's slightly out of focus and moderately oversharpened.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Can't be over sharpened as it is straight from Raw file. So slight out of focus makes everything grainy?  Not sure I can buy that.robin.jpg

Are all of these screenshots?  Upload a couple of converted JPG images rather than screenshots to provide a more accurate assessment.

How severely are these cropped?  As ISO increases, the increase in noise and loss of detail severely reduce your ability to take extreme crops.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"Can't be over sharpened as it is straight from Raw file."

Oh, yes, my friend.  All Raw files are sharpened when you import and convert them to your computer. All Raw converters, DPP4, LR, PS etc, read the tag file supplied by your camera to make the image you see on your monitor. Whatever you have set is used.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I appreciate the feedback.  It is much the same as what I was told a year ago.  I understand that some shaprning takes place etc etc. That would apply to both cameras. A slight off focus photo or backlit or any lit should not have as much grain in the photo as I experience with the 80D.  Whatever exposure issues I have with the 80D I would have with the 6D but the 6D does not have this grainy/ noise issue.  80D has always had it.   I should not have to be perfectly precise with one camera and not the other.

First of all I am totally trying to help you solve this issue so please don't take anything wrong.

OK, it would be a mistake to compare out of the camera shots from a an 80D to a 6D.  The more 'exact' info you can supply the better.  Can you do that?  First I would conduct a controlled test to see exactly what is going on.  A tripod, a stationary target, proper exposure and critical focus.  Various ISO's and SS and apertures.  That sorta stuff.  Why?  Because you can't use random shots of 'nature' to comprehensively judge your gear.  Can yousupply us with that?

EB

I can do some testing yes... and I do appreciate the feedback.  I am about to travel for a couple weeks so will do it when I return.  My main pooint is that straight out of camera in RAW, no additional processing, regardless (more or less) of exposure the 80D gives grainy / noisy looking results - consistently at higher ISO (higher that 320).  I have had many Canon's over the years (Rebel 40D 60 D 70D 7D 6D) and this is the first I have seen it so, I have not changed, the camera did.  I have seen online others reporting of the same issue with the 80D.  If there is something I can do to fix it straight in camera I am all ears.  I use different lenses with 1.4X or 2X and get same results. I do not have it with other cameras and my shooting style and lens choices would be the same.   I stress it is straight out of camera in raw.  Got nothing to with crop or post process.  I can eliminate some of it post process (Topaz is wonderful) but that gets tedoius. 

More later and thanks for your inputr all.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

For an "old guy" Robert is right about a lot of things!  The second photo is out of the question since it is so back lighted.  And, I agree with Robert, the finch is a bit OOF. Even the finch has exposure issues.  If you get these two issues sorted, I think you will be more pleased with the results.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have to be doing some post editing because a 200mm lens will not make that shot (the finch) unless you are very close to the bird.  Were you?

Same with the starling even with a 400mm lens.  Also remember as distance increases resolution decreases. Closer is always better so if you were able to get that close great.

EB
Announcements