cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Microphone with RODE VideoMic Go

JohnnyBoii189
Apprentice

Hello friends!

I have been having an issue with using the RODE VideoMic Go with the Canon EOS 80D and it entails an issue where the microphone only picks up static and no audio. I have to tap the wire head a couple of times to get the microphone to start working again. Then after a couple minutes of recording, the audio captures nothing but static (or white noise) while recording. Would you happen to think that the wire needs to be replaced or should I send in my 80D for a repair service at Canon?

Your reply is greatly appreciated, 

John Peralta

6 REPLIES 6

CaliforniaDream
Enthusiast

When you say wire head which end of the wire do you mean?  If the mic is not hard wired to the cable then I would try a new cable.  Also try a different mic if you have one.  Edit:  also is the problem only with "VideoMic Go"?

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

When you say wire head which end of the wire do you mean?  If the mic is not hard wired to the cable then I would try a new cable.  Also try a different mic if you have one.  Edit:  also is the problem only with "VideoMic Go"?

The part that goes into the camera jack for input. I'll try a different cable then move onto another mic and try that. The VideoMic Go is all I have as a mic, but I should probably look into an upgrade if that's the case.

josemarte17
Apprentice

Hello.  When I turn on my 7D Mark II it just shoots (shutter releases) continuously and the menu function is disabled.  This just happened recently after I used it, for the first time ever, to make a video.  Am I missing something or does it need to be repaired?  Thanks..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/josemarte17/50006564833/in/dateposted-public/

@josemarte17 wrote:

Hello.  When I turn on my 7D Mark II it just shoots (shutter releases) continuously and the menu function is disabled.  This just happened recently after I used it, for the first time ever, to make a video.  Am I missing something or does it need to be repaired?  Thanks..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/josemarte17/50006564833/in/dateposted-public/

Greetings,

This is a thread about an 80D and Rode Mic.  Can you please start your own thread.  Use the new message button, so that your issue gets the visibility and attention it deserves.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetngs,

Could definitely be an issue with the cable or camera...  However, there is one other thing to check.  

Rode Mics have a built in amplifier and can dynamically adjust gain which might cause static or distorted sound during recording.  Se  page 312 of your user guide.

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAyMjQ1NDAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Consider changing the Mic setting from Auto to Manual and restest.

From Rode's Website

Why do I get a low level noise sound when recording on my camera?-

• This is usually caused by the function of "Automatic Gain Control" or "AGC" on the camera.

Basically, when the camera cannot sense an audio input signal it automatically increases the gain of the input. It is increased so much that the noise floor in the camera microphone amplifier becomes audible .

The AGC can be disabled on some cameras and it is worth checking with you camera manufacturer for information on this, which can sometimes require a firmware update to the camera.

RØDE have created the VideoMic Pro to help combat this issue, the VideoMic Pro contains a 20dB pre amplifier, boosting the mic signal so that the camera will see a good signal level and not engage its AGC.  We recommend setting your audio levels manually to achieve an optimum signal to noise ratio and disabling the AGC of the camera.

Don't know if this applies in your case, but should be considerd.  Your Camera does not have an "ACG" function, but it does have a manual settings for adjusting recording levels.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'll definitely check this out as well, but I don't think this is the case as the volume abruptly cuts out and just turns to static no matter how our volume is. It makes a sound as if someone unplugged the mic, even though it remains plugged in.

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetngs,

Could definitely be an issue with the cable or camera...  However, there is one other thing to check.  

Rode Mics have a built in amplifier and can dynamically adjust gain which might cause static or distorted sound during recording.  Se  page 312 of your user guide.

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAyMjQ1NDAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Consider changing the Mic setting from Auto to Manual and restest.

From Rode's Website

Why do I get a low level noise sound when recording on my camera?-

• This is usually caused by the function of "Automatic Gain Control" or "AGC" on the camera.

Basically, when the camera cannot sense an audio input signal it automatically increases the gain of the input. It is increased so much that the noise floor in the camera microphone amplifier becomes audible .

The AGC can be disabled on some cameras and it is worth checking with you camera manufacturer for information on this, which can sometimes require a firmware update to the camera.

RØDE have created the VideoMic Pro to help combat this issue, the VideoMic Pro contains a 20dB pre amplifier, boosting the mic signal so that the camera will see a good signal level and not engage its AGC.  We recommend setting your audio levels manually to achieve an optimum signal to noise ratio and disabling the AGC of the camera.

Don't know if this applies in your case, but should be considerd.  Your Camera does not have an "ACG" function, but it does have a manual settings for adjusting recording levels.

Announcements