cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D ISO Noise concern

Lonestar_North
Contributor

I just bought a brand new 80D.  I bought it to replace my 7D as I wanted to get improved high ISO noise performane.  My first day of shooting leaves me very dissapointed.  Is this typical of what I am to expect?

Link to higher resolution

http://lonestarnorth.ifp3.com/#/gallery/test-gallery/iso-80d-320/

Here is a screen shot of ISO 640 F8 and the sewcond at 320.  

ISO 80D.JPG

ISO 80D 320.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Lonestar North, 

We have evaluated the photos you sent and do not see any die hard issues that are present within the camera system that are readily apparent to the naked eye.  Other users here have offered many different suggestions as to the cause of the issue and there is merit in the things that were recommended.  It's possible you're experiencing a twofold issue of it being a new camera and over processing of the images in post production.   

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Peter
Authority
Authority
I don't really see any noise of concern, but I use a phone right now. What about you upload a raw sample?

I shoot raw but Adobe won't recognize rbe CR2 file so I convert to DNG.  Neither of these formats will upload.  I did give a link to the large files

@Lonestar_Northwrote:

I shoot raw but Adobe won't recognize rbe CR2 file so I convert to DNG.  Neither of these formats will upload.  I did give a link to the large files

That’s odd.  Which “Adobe”?  You probably just need to update your ACR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It has to do with Adobe Raw not updating to the newer Raw Files of newer cameras.  I have to convert to dng. I am looking at alternates to CS6 and Bridge

Peter
Authority
Authority
Ok, saw it now. I would say noise is more visible when it is in an area that is out of focus, but please upload a raw sample and we can check.

diverhank
Authority

Did you  brighten the noisy background or is this as is?

I think it looks normal for the ISO 640 picture but ISO 320 photo is a bit noisy, hence the above question.  The key is that you can filter the noise in post easily without much effect to the picture sharpness.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Peter
Authority
Authority

Jpg files are not enough if you want a better answer. Use a filehost.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have several issues.  One is the ACR for CS6 doesn't convert 80D Raw files.  Second I think you are over processing your dng files.  Remember less is more in post editing.  And lastly, the noise will be worse or at least appear worse in under exposed areas and when you do large crops.  Keep those to a reasonable manageable minimum.

DNG is also a Raw image file. It is Adobe’s proprietary image standard that was created to store image data in a generic, highly-compatible format, unlike Raw files that have specific formats based on the manufacturer and camera type.  DNG was invented by Adobe and it is supported in all Adobe applications.   Some other camera manufacturers such as Leica, Hasselblad and Pentax have adopted this standard and use it in their cameras as their supported Raw file format.

Another option is Canon's own and free DPP4.  In your case I would certainly entertain an opportunity to trry it out.

Lastly keep in mind all cameras have limits not just the 7D and 80D.  You just need to know how far you can go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Lonestar_Northwrote:

I just bought a brand new 80D.  I bought it to replace my 7D as I wanted to get improved high ISO noise performane.  My first day of shooting leaves me very dissapointed.  Is this typical of what I am to expect?

Link to higher resolution

http://lonestarnorth.ifp3.com/#/gallery/test-gallery/iso-80d-320/

Here is a screen shot of ISO 640 F8 and the sewcond at 320.  

You appear to be confusing Out Of Focus (OOF) areas with noise. 

A dSLR with a long lens will have a very shallow depth of field. The area out of that depth of field will be blurry and could be confused with noise. What you are depicting appears to be normal OOF area and not noise.

Announcements