cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Drive question

tonesnico
Apprentice
On my much older T2i there was a drive mode on self timer where I was able to select the camera to shoot 10 pictures in a row on self timer. For example, I could put it on a tripod and have it set to take 30 second exposures 10 straight times, something I would do for example in capturing lightning shots. Does the 80D have this feature, because I can’t seem to find it?
11 REPLIES 11

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You will need a Canon TC-80N3 Timer/Remote Controller for this function with your 80D.  Or you could probably find a third party device that MAY meet your needs for less than the Canon product. 

I have owned my TC-80N since I bought it with my 1D M2 back in 2005 and it has worked well.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I could put it on a tripod and have it set to take 30 second exposures 10 straight times..."

I had a T2i way back there and was not aware it could do that! Ya learn somptin' every day it seems.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Rebel at least up through T6s has the setting; 80D does not.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

... page from 80D Instruction Manual

65F3B066-DEA3-47FF-97A0-5F52E984C11B.jpeg

the 80D appears to have interval shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not the same as OP had with T2i, but a more useful feature. I would assume that initial shot could be actuated via 80D self timer.

canon.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Not the same as OP had with T2i, but a more useful feature.

I would assume that initial shot could be actuated via 80D self timer.

Yes, it works with the interval timer.  I just tested with the 2 second timer taking shots every 3 seconds.  Total shots was 3.

I suppose one would need to be careful to when using the delay timer.  The interval needs to always be longer than the shutter delay timer.  When I increased the shutter delay to 10 seconds, all I got was one exposure!  The interval timer should have captured 3 shots over the course of 9 seconds!  Again, the camera captured only one exposure in this scenario.

Back to the first scenario, with shutter delay set for 2 seconds and the interval set for 3 seconds.  The shots were captured 3 seconds apart.  Hmm.  Does that mean that I created a custom shutter delay?

So self timer is applied to each shot?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

So self timer is applied to each shot?

Good question.  It seems that the longer interval may take priority over the shorter interval. 

May not meet the OP's use case, which was up to 10 rapid fire shots trying to capture lightning. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements