cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D DNG Raw files

Lonestar_North
Contributor

OK I get it Adobe won't recognize the 80D raw files.  I convert to DNG as advised but DNG does not carry over all the EXIF data. I have to shoot raw and JPG so the computer will even read the card.  It won't read just ther raw files.  So then I import all using Bridge and have to transfer raw to dng and lose much of the exif data.  Keywords ISO camera model etc. 

Any alternatives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thnaks to all for the comments.  I have found a work around.  First let me just say that I like Adobe Bridge.  I have use it for years.  I like the keywording, searching, collections, meta data display, filters, previews etc.  It is a great program.  I am used to it and don't want to change.  Unfortunately the CS6 version of Bridge and PS won't read my new 80D Raw files.  

I updated to Bridge CC which I discovered is a free download.  Yes, free!!!  Now Bridge CC reads and imports the Raw files (via get photos from camera - which is important because I have set up various meta data templates) but CS6 Photoshop is being stubborn will not read them. 

Doing some digging I found a kuel little program called Meta Raw that will allow CS6 and Bridge to read the raw files.  I am running the two week free trial and so far everything seems to be working fine.  They want $50 for the program but that's still cheaper than CC at $10 month.

From their website - MetaRaw extends the functionality of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It lets you open camera raw files with Adobe Camera Raw, which are normally not supported by it, and allows applying Adobe Camera Raw to image layers. https://thepluginsite.com/products/metaraw/screenshots.htm

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

"There is no Codec update"

The Win8.1 codec group is included in Win10, so there is a codec for cr2 files, but it might not work with the latest cameras. I don't have an 80D but it works with my 1DX which is not listed so d/l the update might work for the 80D as well.  It won't hurt.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thnaks to all for the comments.  I have found a work around.  First let me just say that I like Adobe Bridge.  I have use it for years.  I like the keywording, searching, collections, meta data display, filters, previews etc.  It is a great program.  I am used to it and don't want to change.  Unfortunately the CS6 version of Bridge and PS won't read my new 80D Raw files.  

I updated to Bridge CC which I discovered is a free download.  Yes, free!!!  Now Bridge CC reads and imports the Raw files (via get photos from camera - which is important because I have set up various meta data templates) but CS6 Photoshop is being stubborn will not read them. 

Doing some digging I found a kuel little program called Meta Raw that will allow CS6 and Bridge to read the raw files.  I am running the two week free trial and so far everything seems to be working fine.  They want $50 for the program but that's still cheaper than CC at $10 month.

From their website - MetaRaw extends the functionality of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It lets you open camera raw files with Adobe Camera Raw, which are normally not supported by it, and allows applying Adobe Camera Raw to image layers. https://thepluginsite.com/products/metaraw/screenshots.htm

Interesting.  Let me know how it works out.

You still can't get Windoze to show thumbs?

EB

Correct Windoze 7 does not show thumbs but for me that is not an issue

Ray-uk
Whiz

@Lonestar_Northwrote:

Any alternatives?

Use Canon's DPP, it's made for the job and it's free.

Now this is getting a tad on the ridiculous side.  Adobe won't read the new 80D Raw and says to convert to DNG.  Canon DPP does not read DNG.  Round and round...

@Lonestar_Northwrote:

Adobe won't read the new 80D Raw and says to convert to DNG.  Canon DPP does not read DNG.  Round and round...

You don't need DNG, it's only Adobe telling you to convert it because it cannot cope with your files.

Your camera produces raw cr2 files which work directly with DPP.

"Your camera produces raw cr2 files which work directly with DPP."

Except DPP4 is not Photoshop.

EB

@ebiggs1wrote:

"Your camera produces raw cr2 files which work directly with DPP."

Except DPP4 is not Photoshop.

You simply do any adjustments to the raw file in DPP then if you need to you can export the file to Photoshop as a jpg or tiff file. For the vast majority of pictures you don't even need Photoshop.

"For the vast majority of pictures you don't even need Photoshop."

That is your opinion not a fact.  If you are pleased with DPP all the best to you.  Glad it works well for you but the entire photographic world uses LR and/or PS.  Not DPP.  I grant you DPP4 is a great amateur program particularly if you are a completely Canon user.

Don't get me wrong I am not an Adobe fan club member.  Far from it after they went to there idiotic rental mode. But the facts are as they are. There is Photoshop and then there is everything else.

EB
Announcements