cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D DNG Raw files

Lonestar_North
Contributor

OK I get it Adobe won't recognize the 80D raw files.  I convert to DNG as advised but DNG does not carry over all the EXIF data. I have to shoot raw and JPG so the computer will even read the card.  It won't read just ther raw files.  So then I import all using Bridge and have to transfer raw to dng and lose much of the exif data.  Keywords ISO camera model etc. 

Any alternatives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thnaks to all for the comments.  I have found a work around.  First let me just say that I like Adobe Bridge.  I have use it for years.  I like the keywording, searching, collections, meta data display, filters, previews etc.  It is a great program.  I am used to it and don't want to change.  Unfortunately the CS6 version of Bridge and PS won't read my new 80D Raw files.  

I updated to Bridge CC which I discovered is a free download.  Yes, free!!!  Now Bridge CC reads and imports the Raw files (via get photos from camera - which is important because I have set up various meta data templates) but CS6 Photoshop is being stubborn will not read them. 

Doing some digging I found a kuel little program called Meta Raw that will allow CS6 and Bridge to read the raw files.  I am running the two week free trial and so far everything seems to be working fine.  They want $50 for the program but that's still cheaper than CC at $10 month.

From their website - MetaRaw extends the functionality of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It lets you open camera raw files with Adobe Camera Raw, which are normally not supported by it, and allows applying Adobe Camera Raw to image layers. https://thepluginsite.com/products/metaraw/screenshots.htm

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Johnw1
Enthusiast

Adobe does read CR2 files from the 80D. You may have to update ACR.

I have CS6 and I tried to install latest ACR. ACR 9.5 is not backward compatible. 

I have Lightroom 6 and I have no trouble reading my 80D cr2 fils. 

LR 6 got a couple more updates to ACR than CS6 did.  If you get LR6, you can still find it but it is getting more difficult, you can have LR open or import the Raw files.  Then use the "Edit in" tab in LR to send it to PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lonestar_North
Contributor
I do not use lightroom

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have to shoot raw and JPG so the computer will even read the card. "

That is a computer issue not DNG or PS.  Are you on a Mac?  They have problems with Raw files a lot of the time. I don't know how to fix them.   If it is a WIndoze machine you probably need a new codec.

EB

Lonestar_North
Contributor
I want to use bridge. KEYWORDS EXIF etc. Windows won't even read the 80D raw files

Again...............

That is a computer issue not DNG or PS.   You probably need a new codec.

"I want to use bridge. KEYWORDS EXIF etc"

Bridge is not going to show them (Raw files) if it is in CS6 of PS.  You will need to get Bridge from CC to do that.

EB

Canon stopped Codec in 2012 or something like that.  There is no Codec update

Announcements