cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Continuously autofocusing

bkc134
Contributor

Hello, I've purchased a Canon 80D back in January of this year. It's been working fantastically, however, about a month or so ago I've been having issues. I typically half press the shutter button to focus, however, now my camera is constantly focusing all the time without pressing the button. I have it on AI focus right now. The other issue being that whenever I press the menu button or picture recall, nothing comes up. So I'm unable to switch anything in the menu tab or see pictures I've already taken. I thought perhaps I can't see the menu because the camera is constantly focusing so I switched it to manual focus and even then it won't allow. I've tried taking on and off the rubber eye cup to see if maybe that was why it wouldn't turn the screen on, but it changed nothing. I know the LCD screen is working because when I turn the camera off it will show "sensor cleaning." I've tried switching the camera into video mode and it also will no longer do this; it'll just take photos if in video mode. I don't have warranty on the camera. Any ideas on what may be causing this or ways to fix? 

11 REPLIES 11

I think, legally, Canon USA does not have to honor a non-USA warranty.  The fact that they will is simply a testimony to the high level of customer support they offer.  I have always been impressed with the level of support Canon USA offers their customers.  My experience with Nikon and other brands has been much less satisfying.

Glad the factory will take care of this issue and honor the non-USA warranty for you.

International Models are a Gray Market purchase in the US.  All this does is encourage the further illegal importation of substandard and/or potential counterfeit items.  While this item might not be counterfeit, how it was procured and sold here is questionable.  Notice you'l never see an International item offered on Amazon as "Ships From And Sold By Amazon"

Shady.

Count your blessings bkc134, you've just dodged a bullet.

It's all outlined here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/groups/gray-market

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
Announcements