cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Continuously autofocusing

bkc134
Contributor

Hello, I've purchased a Canon 80D back in January of this year. It's been working fantastically, however, about a month or so ago I've been having issues. I typically half press the shutter button to focus, however, now my camera is constantly focusing all the time without pressing the button. I have it on AI focus right now. The other issue being that whenever I press the menu button or picture recall, nothing comes up. So I'm unable to switch anything in the menu tab or see pictures I've already taken. I thought perhaps I can't see the menu because the camera is constantly focusing so I switched it to manual focus and even then it won't allow. I've tried taking on and off the rubber eye cup to see if maybe that was why it wouldn't turn the screen on, but it changed nothing. I know the LCD screen is working because when I turn the camera off it will show "sensor cleaning." I've tried switching the camera into video mode and it also will no longer do this; it'll just take photos if in video mode. I don't have warranty on the camera. Any ideas on what may be causing this or ways to fix? 

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you sure that your camera is not in video mode?   Make sure that you are not in Live View mode, too.

It is a little odd that you cannot see menus.  The best course of action is to call Canon Support.  I find it odd that you can purchase a camera in January, and for it not be under Canon warranty in December.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

bkc134
Contributor
It isn’t in video mode. I bought it on Amazon and it said ‘international model no warranty.’ I called support and they said all their cameras have warranty though and suggested it may be a circuit board issue

@bkc134 wrote:
It isn’t in video mode. I bought it on Amazon and it said ‘international model no warranty.’ I called support and they said all their cameras have warranty though and suggested it may be a circuit board issue

Amazon.  Personally, I do not like or trust Amazon, although I have friends and relatives who swear by them.  Not all of their vendors are trustworthy,   Not all of their deals are good deals.  

I do not think Canon US services “international models”, but I would pursue whatever advice Canon gives you.  I trust that they will help you get your camera repaired, and up to spec.  It may take some time, it may cost you a chunk of change, too.  But, in the end, hopefully, you will finish up with a properly working, full functional Death Star, I mean camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had called Canon support systems and they said there is no such thing as an "international model" and if it's a Canon camera, it has a warranty. They suggested that it was a circuit board problem since I was having multiple issues all relating to the circuit board. I shipped it out yesterday, so hopefully the factory I shipped to will abide by what Canon support said. 

What lens? Have you tried another *Canon* lens?

All my lenses are Canon, and yes I've tried multiple. No go

lly3988
Rising Star

Try EOS utility and connect your 80D to your computer and see if you can reset the camera from there.

Rebel
Contributor
This is exactly why I've always bought genuine Canon products from reputable dealers with the USA warranty. The extra cost seems worth it.

bkc134
Contributor
I’ve never had an issue with Amazon. I’ve gotten lenses etc from there multiple times before. And as an update, Canon is repairing the camera for free, so I assume they did accept the warranty.
Announcements