Canon Community Canon Community

Reputable Contributor

Re: 80D Built In Flash Pops Up But Won't Fire

[ Edited ]

@tmc784 wrote:

Did you update the latest firmware 1.0.2 version  ?

Cheers.

@dynamix wrote:

No I havent. Should I ? 

@tmc784 wrote:

Yes, you should.

Follow the update instruction carefully from Canon website.

Hope it will help after firmware updated.

First check to see what firmware your camera currently has. You may already have 1.0.2 installed. Early 80Ds had version 1.0.1 and there was a firmware update to 1.0.2 which would have been  factory installed on later 80Ds.

If you are comfortable with the upgrade process, then go ahead, but there is nothing in 1.0.2 that would fix a flash problem. 

Firmware Version 1.0.2 incorporates the following improvement and fix: 

1. Improves the reliability of communication via USB cable when using the Lens Data Registration function within EOS Utility 3 software.
  2. Fixes incorrect indications in the Norwegian menu screens.

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
New Contributor

Mike, already got the newest firmware. Got camera for 2 months, yesterday flash stop working ;/ flash is opening but without flash..
Reputable Contributor

Send it Canon for service because there is obviously something wrong and there is no way to fix it yourself. 

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
New Contributor

WHat did you do about it?  I sent mine to Canon for repair, they want $344.

New Contributor

I sent mine back to Canon under warranty. They said it was a loose flash cover. Fixed it no cost and in a week.
New Contributor

I tried this no luck. I’m going to take the camera to my local shop and have it repaired. I ordered a 70d body US version off Amazon and received a brand new 80d US version with warranty instead. I contacted the seller and they told me to keep the 80d. I called Canon customer service and they told me to ship it to them with the receipt and it would be fixed under warranty. The only problem is that my receipt shows that I purchased a 70d. I’m screwed.
Frequent Contributor

@taebaker512 wrote:
I tried this no luck. I’m going to take the camera to my local shop and have it repaired. I ordered a 70d body US version off Amazon and received a brand new 80d US version with warranty instead. I contacted the seller and they told me to keep the 80d. I called Canon customer service and they told me to ship it to them with the receipt and it would be fixed under warranty. The only problem is that my receipt shows that I purchased a 70d. I’m screwed.

No you should be ok.  Just send to Canon and tell them what happened.  I would be very suprised if they don't honor the warranty.

New Contributor

I have printed out all of my correspondence with the dealer via Amazon and enclosed it with the camera. Getting ready to send her off to California. I'll keep ya'll posted on the outcome.

New Contributor

Same happenned to me after 1 month. Still uder warrenty. Sent to canon and they said it was a loose cover.They made the repair and the camera has worked after that, 5 monts ago.