cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Built In Flash Pops Up But Won't Fire

Toznator
Contributor

The built in flash on 80D pops up in Auto mode but won't fire.  I put "built in flash on" in the on mode and it will pop up but not fire.  I have been using 430EXIII RT and everything has been working fine.  Been shooting in P mode and built in flash and 430 have been working well.  Not sure if I have pressed the wrong button or what but I sure do need some help.  Thanks in advance.

38 REPLIES 38

Thanks.  Mine is not under warranty, was yours?

yes

WHat did you do about it?  I sent mine to Canon for repair, they want $344.

Toznator
Contributor

Ok, I checked the flash control menu in the Program mode and the "flash firing" is in the "enable" mode, "E-TTL II", "shutter sync" is "1st Curtain".

In the Auto Mode I made sure the built in flash was in "on".  Still same deal.  Built in flash pops up but won't fire, but external flash on hotshoe will fire. Any other thoughts or suggestions.  Very much appreciated.

Toznator
Contributor
Here was the response from customer service. It did not solve issue but was worth a try. Maybe it will help you.

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding your EOS 80D. I understand the built-in flash of your camera will pop-up, but not fire. I can assist you with this.

Based on the details of the issue it sounds like the flash bulb may be malfunctioning. I recommend performing a complete reset on the camera for further testing. Please follow the instructions below.

Settings Reset

1. While the camera is on turn the mode dial to "P" (Program mode), which allows all menu options to become available, then press the menu button.

2. Move across the top of the menu to the last wrench tab. (Yellow tabs)

3. Go down the menu list to "Clear Settings" and press the Set button.

4. Choose "Clear all Camera Settings", and press the Set button.

5. To complete the reset highlight "OK" and press the Set button again.

6. Next, move over to the Custom Functions menu list.

7. Reset the "Clear all Custom Func." settings as well.

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.

2. Close the battery/memory card doors.

3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.

4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.

5. Power the camera on.

If the flash bulb still does not fire after the resets I recommend sending the camera body in for evaluation. Canon cameras come with a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase for manufacturer defects. As long as the camera has not been exposed to impact, pressure, liquid, or sand damage then it is eligible to be covered under warranty. The following instructions will outline how to send the camera in for warranty evaluation.

Mine does not work either and tried steps below. I have older hot shoe flash and could not get it to fire. Where did you send your camera in.  Mine would be outside warranty period.

GMHosking:

You have a totally different problem with your external flash. You need to start your own topic and tell us what camera and what flash.

I had my 50D repaired here. They were very good. Different problem,(shutter) but fair price, about $125.00, and repair was good.

Camera Repair Center.

[Mod Note: We do not allow links to third party sites that sell things. Check the Forum Guidelines if you have questions.]

oops sorry

They can just Google "Camera Repair Center Inc." in  Glendale, California. 

There are lots of other good repair shops around that are often willing, or able, to repair cameras that Canon won't touch. 
Mike Sowsun
Announcements