cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Buffer + Playback Problem

WJohnston
Contributor

Hello, first post here. 

I got an 80D recently to go alongside my 70D. 

In most ways the 80D is a better camera, but my copy is unable to playback images as the buffer clears, which is something my 70D does no problem at all. 

I've searched and searched and it's not a widely discussed issue, but anybody that has had the problem before usually hasn't been able to resolve it. 

I've made a very quick video demonstrating my 70D playing back whilst the buffer clears no problem, and the same high speed card (Sandisk 64Gb Extreme Pro, freshly formatted in both) in the 80D, unable to playback until the full buffer is cleared, which is terribly frustrating and sluggish compared to the older 70D which can always keep up with my fast shooting style. 

I've reset the 80D settings, turned off all the extra stuff like noise reduction etc etc, formatted, tried multiple high speed cards (Sandisk Extreme, Extreme Pro, 64Gb, 32Gb) - all of which work fine in the 70D. I only use official Canon batteries. I wonder if it's a bad copy or if the 80D uses a different processor that simply doesn't allow for both playback and writing to the card at once, perhaps due to the difference between 24MP and the 70D's 20MP.

Please see the video below.

https://youtu.be/HBXCIaSKY7w

Any advice greatly welcomed! 

William

11 REPLIES 11

WJohnston
Contributor
I’ve received a most helpful answer for anyone interested for future reference, I’ve received a very detailed and informed response from Zig at imaging resource, who has helpfully stated that this behaviour of not being able to playback as buffer clears is typical of multiple canon models, including 80D, m50, even the 5D IV, but not on others and it’s unexplained as to why.

It’s not as simple as what digic processor is used - as the EOS R and m50 both use the digic 8, yet the R can playback images during buffer clearing, and m50 cant.

So I think something between 70D to the 80D has changed for some reason, power saving benefit, improving the battery rating etc, which is disappointing, I would prefer having the option of a normal (full power) mode and a power saving mode, similar to iPhones and such.

So there you go, unfortunate that it’s the way it’s meant to be, hopefully this helps someone else with the same question in future.

Perhaps the Canon moderators could jump in on this thread and provide info direct from Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements