eliasheuninck
Apprentice

Hello, 

I'm making a time lapse in the following configuration:

- manual model

- Nikon lens (with adapter)

- ACK-E6 power adapter

- Auto power off setting is set to disabled

- the shutter is triggered by an external remote (cable)

I'm attempting a timelapse with a recording time span of 3 weeks.

The setup works perfect for at least 8 hours, but the next day, the camera is off. Half-pressing the shutter does not turn the camera on again. I have to switch it off and on in order to resume the time lapse.

Did I miss a setting? I looked through the manual, but couldn't find anything related.

The setup is automated via a microcontroller that switches on a light for the exposure. This is why I can't use the built in interval timer.

All the best,

Elias

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It could be overheating.  Monitor it more carefully.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you Waddizzle for your quick reply.

I'll pay attention to the camera warming up.

One thing I've noticed is that the battery icon is half way empty after about 8 hours of operation (one picture every 7 minutes).

This is strange to me since the camera's power comes from a ACK-E6 power adapter.

I assume, that somewhere arround 16 hours of operation, the battery icon will show that it's empty, and the camera will shut down. Is the ACK-E6 not delivering enough power? It was noted as compatible with the 80D.

@eliasheuninck wrote:

Thank you Waddizzle for your quick reply.

I'll pay attention to the camera warming up.

One thing I've noticed is that the battery icon is half way empty after about 8 hours of operation (one picture every 7 minutes).

This is strange to me since the camera's power comes from a ACK-E6 power adapter.

I assume, that somewhere arround 16 hours of operation, the battery icon will show that it's empty, and the camera will shut down. Is the ACK-E6 not delivering enough power? It was noted as compatible with the 80D.

I can't imagine why the battery icon would show any change at all while the camera is operating with an AC adapter. What does it show when you first turn it on? I guess I could understand it, for example, it showed a half charge continuously. But a change in the condition of a battery that isn't there doesn't make sense.

I suppose one possibility is that the adapter is unable to produce a DC charge as fast as the camera uses it up. But assuming that that's even electrically possible, it would seem to indicate a problem with the adapter (or with your line voltage), not with the camera.

If Waddizzle is right that the camera is overheating, that could be an indication that the current is too high. And that in turn could suggest that the voltage produced by the adapter is too low. (Power = volts x amps, and for a given level of power consumption, a lower than normal voltage requires a higher current.) Alternatively, if it's the adapter that's overheating, it might contain a circuit breaker that turns it off while it cools. And that, in turn, would shut down the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Bob, 

I know, the battery icon behaves weird.

It shows a full battery when plugged in for the first time, but after about 8 hours it's two bars down. The next morning the camera is dead.

The change in the icon is indeed counter intuitive. I'll use a power supply instead of the AC adapter in two days.

I'll come back to update my results here.

@eliasheuninck wrote:

Thank you Bob, 

I know, the battery icon behaves weird.

It shows a full battery when plugged in for the first time, but after about 8 hours it's two bars down. The next morning the camera is dead.

The change in the icon is indeed counter intuitive. I'll use a power supply instead of the AC adapter in two days.

I'll come back to update my results here.

You need to monitor it more closely.  You need to witness the operating conditions leading up to the moment of failure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had the same problem with aftermarket power supplies. Bought original canon set and had no problems ever since.

Ya Im resurecting an old thread, my comment is relevant. This is the only page that shows up on a Google Search of the subject and the 80D.

I'm also having this same issue with my 80D shutting off with the AC adapter, even though Auto Shutoff is disabled.

I went through three different brands of adapters and no luck.

I finally found in my situation, it had to do with what lens was being used. If I use my Canon 24-70 L, Video shuts off within a minute of use. But if I change lens to an older cheap 28-200 canon zoom, the issue stops. It now works with all my third party adapters.  Yes I've cleaned the contacts and tried remounting the L lens several times and no joy.

So the fact the OP is using a Nikon lens with adapter could very well be the culprit. He has not chimed back and updated his findings, so...  Hope it helps someone else having the issue.

Nice to hear you found a solution! Thanks for adding it here!

If I remember correctly I changed to a different camera at the end.

Announcements