cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d mkii as webcam via HDMI out shuts off after SD card fills. Any way to bypass?

hepcat
Apprentice

Hi there,

I'm trying to use my 7d mk II as a webcam without using the webcam software utility published by Canon. I am plugging the camera into an ATEM Mini, so I'm wondering if the camera just thinks it's supposed to be dumping video to disc and I just need to get a bigger SD card for longer video sessions?

I would rather that it bypass the card entirely and just send a video signal out of the HDMI mini port, but I don't see a setting for that.

I have disabled auto shutoff, so I don't think it's that. And when I check the card after the camera shuts off, the card is definitely full.

If anyone knows how I can get around this, that would be great.

Thanks!
Jim

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is the difference in video between standby and actually recording?

Of course, it won't stay in standby forever either.

Hmmm, I'm not sure that I've got it in Standby mode ever. It seems to me that it won't send video out until I hit the little button on the rear record button.

How should the camera bet set for it to be in Standby mode?

Maybe it doesn't, usually the HDMI is just a copy of what is shown on the LCD.

Check the manual to see when exactly a signal will be sent out the HDMI port.  For most consumer camcorders (which I'll lump probably most DLSRs in to that camp), this is for playback only.   Then there are some camcorders and DSLRs which let's you send out an HDMI signal for recording via external equipment.  And whether or not that is a "clean" signal (i.e. void of on-screen display info), that's another story.

Dedicated video equipment will most likely be your best bet.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Well, I figured out the "Standby" mode. A different problem earlier was masking the need to hit the "Rec" button. So now I can just power on the camera and have it stream video without actually filling up the SD card.

Unfortunately, it still seems to shut itself off around the 25 min mark.

Announcements