cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d mkii Menu screen/shutter actuation issues

thechiefisin
Apprentice

Hi there Canon forum!

I have a 7d mkii but when I turn it on it, the shutter seems to be stuck in high speed shooting mode and shoots repeatedly, unprompted, with a lens on/off, with a memory card in/out. 

In addition, I can't get the menu screen to appear to attempt a factory reset. Anybody have any suggestions?

16 REPLIES 16

"Yeah, that won't do anything."

Refers to a 7D and likely the 7D Mk II, I don't have one plainly stated, not removing the keep-alive battery and the camera still remembers its settings.

"I have a Rebel."

Good for you, do whatever works.

When it comes right down to it, I am not sure if any camera is ever completely off.  Unless any and all batteries are either dead or removed for a period of time. Think about, the quick start-up, it requires some initial power to be so quick for instance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thechiefisin
Apprentice
Thanks for the responses yall, but she's still not functioning. The screen works, it throws me the self-cleaning animation when I shut it off, but is black any other time. The top lcd works, and shows exposure changes I make via the rotary, the viewfinder is similarly responsive.

The last several times I've turned it on, the shutter hasn't actuated on its own, but I can get it to actuate when I hit the shutter release.

thechiefisin
Apprentice
Can't* get it to actuate.

Okay. Are you saying that if you press the Menu button nothing happens?

Remove the card from the camera, format in your computer and reinstall. Try a different card if you have one.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

thechiefisin
Apprentice
Correct, the screen is unresponsive to any button presses.

I have tried using several different cards, it does not seem to make a difference.

At this point none of this self-help stuff is going to fix it.  Like I said it's free and easy but as you found out, usually doesn't help either.

Do call Canon a 7D Mk II is too great camera to not let Canon fix it.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did anything happen to the camera that you are aware of - dropped, got wet?

Switch lens to manual focus. Then camera will expose even if focus can't be achieved.

Try installing Canon EOS Utility. Then you could try actuating camera via mouse and computer.

EOSU writes the file to the computer. 

After this round of troubleshooting give Canon a call at (866) 261-9362. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements