cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d mkii Menu screen/shutter actuation issues

thechiefisin
Apprentice

Hi there Canon forum!

I have a 7d mkii but when I turn it on it, the shutter seems to be stuck in high speed shooting mode and shoots repeatedly, unprompted, with a lens on/off, with a memory card in/out. 

In addition, I can't get the menu screen to appear to attempt a factory reset. Anybody have any suggestions?

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Remove battery. Switch camera on. Shut off. Replace battery. 

Do you have a battery grip installed?  If so remove that. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Great advice from John and also cycle the shutter release button a few times to make sure that it isn't stuck on (even if the button appears at the rest position the internal switch assembly may have stuck on thus "tap" cycle it a few times).

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

For those cameras that offer the feature, definitely consider saving all settings to an SD card as a backup.  That way, should you ever need to reset things, you can reload all your customizations easily.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

For those cameras that offer the feature, definitely consider saving all settings to an SD card as a backup.  That way, should you ever need to reset things, you can reload all your customizations easily.

I'm under the impression that only the 1D series cameras have that. Am I wrong? It would certainly be a useful feature on any camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Remove battery. Switch camera on. Shut off. Replace battery. 
Do you have a battery grip installed?  If so remove that."

Yeah, that won't do anything. I never had a 7D Mk II but I had two 7D's. Except the advice to remove any battery grip you might have. That is good advise.  And, if you have a third party grip throw it away in the trash right now.

You see I am guessing the Mk II is like the 7D. It has a "keep-alive" battery that also has to be removed.  So do that before you do the rest of the steps.  At that point they might work and they might not. When you put both batteries back in, you might clean the contacts off first, turn it back on, if you have to set the date and time, the 7D Mk II did reset.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The only time removing the main power battery (and not the keep-alive battery) does anything is when you can get to your menus but there is some strange error code or glitch.  Like stuck in one mode or another. Can't format you CF card, etc, that kinda stuff.

There's no guarantee this will fix any specific problem but, it's free and easy to do.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, as a bonus tip, newer Rebels don't have the small keep-alive batteries.  At least they are not user replaceable, so those models cannot be rebooted as described above. You can take out the main battery and leave it out for a long, long time and eventually it will reset.  Again if you have to set the time and date it did reset.

EB

"Yeah, that won't do anything."

Believe what you wish. 

I have a Rebel. It periodically locks up. Screen black. Totally unresponsive. Powering off and on doesn't affect it. 

Remove the battery and replace and it is back in functioning order. 

Will it resolve the OP's problem - won't know unless he tries.  

But it is just plain wrong to say it never works. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"But it is just plain wrong to say it never works."

Hmm, must of missed this! 

"There's no guarantee this will fix any specific problem but, it's free and easy to do."

EB
Announcements