cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d / 70-200

Gloflosmith123
Contributor
Settings to help me start ... inside arenas action shots of pll on horses ( rodeo )
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check out the links in the first two posts.  

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

No one can predict conditions and tell you what settings to use.  [And then there is the problem of focusing.]

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

1/500 is probably as slow as you can go on shutter speed for most action shots and 1/640 is better if your camera system and lighting situation permits. With great lighting, 1/1000 is great but that is very unlikely to happen indoors.  For inside unless the lighting is far better than average, set the aperture wide open (lowest F number) and accept that depth of field will be limited which is usually desirable with these types of shots to get the subject to pop out of the background.

For sports photos both indoors or outdoors at night I set the aperture wide open (I most often use a 300 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 wide open), shutter at 1/640, and ISO set to auto if lighting is uneven or to a fixed metered value for the few places that have even lighting.  I would go with ISO set to auto until you get a feel for it.

I have never used the 7D so I am not familiar with how well its servo AF works, for sports with the 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies I will choose 1 AF point, on occasion with expansion, with the point chosen where it will be on a high contrast part of the subject or uniform.  With lower light indoor shooting you want to give your camera AF system the best situation possible and training yourself to go with a single or limited number of AF points and keeping the point where you need it will greatly improve your keeper rate of sharply focused shots.

AND be sure to shoot in RAW, you can recover from exposure and white balance issues in post.  Shooting JPG plus RAW will slow down the ability of your camera to store a sequence of high speed shots and when you are shooting RAW you don't need to also save JPG files.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can offer some basic settings.  I always tell new people to start with these settings.  Select Av mode.  Most of the time Av will be the preferred mode. Why?  It lets the camera choose the fastest SS it ca for the conditions. You will need to experiment as like stated above no one here can give you exact settings without seeing the arena.  I would choose a pretty high ISO, say 800 or 1600 but be prepared to change it if needed.  Maybe a fairly well lighted arena, so 400 is better.

Select One shot and activate just the center AF point.

You should use Raw file format so no other setting is relevant as you will do that in post editing. There simple!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I can offer some basic settings.  I always tell new people to start with these settings.  Select Av mode.  Most of the time Av will be the preferred mode. Why?  It lets the camera choose the fastest SS it ca for the conditions. You will need to experiment as like stated above no one here can give you official website exact settings without seeing the arena.  I would choose a pretty high ISO, say 800 or 1600 but be prepared to change it if needed.  Maybe a fairly well lighted arena, so 400 is better.

Select One shot and activate just the center AF point.

You should use Raw file format so no other setting is relevant as you will do that in post editing. There simple!

I set the aperture wide open (I most often use a 300 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 wide open), shutter at 1/640, and ISO set to auto if lighting is uneven or to a fixed metered value for the few places that have even lighting.  I would go with ISO set to auto until you get a feel for it.

I have never used the 7D so I am not familiar with how well its servo AF works, for sports with the 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies I will choose 1 AF point, on occasion with expansion, with the point chosen where it will be on a high contrast part of the subject or uniform.  With lower light indoor shooting you want to give your camera AF system the best situation possible and training yourself to go with a single or limited number of AF points and keeping the point where you need it will greatly improve your keeper rate of sharply focused shots.

Announcements