cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7Dmk2- x2 converter use

Clouts11
Apprentice

Hi, ive just upgraded to a 7dmk2 ( what a great piece of kit)  from my 660d and a borrowd 7d, and other than the steep learning curve on the AF system im getting along just fine, except one little issue, which im sure is operator error.

I have a x2 converter which on all camers ive used works with out issues, it  meters focuses etc and images would come out balanced clean focused etc, on the Mk2 for what ever reason i have to under expose by at least 2 stops to get an image that is usable, if i use the onboard meter and centre the exposure they are completley blown out. 

It makes no difference if i use it on any lens i have, from the 50mm 1.8 through to my 70-200 2.8 

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

I know the real soultion is to get  larger lenses but  thats not in the budget just yet. 

Thanks for the help. 

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sounds like it's a non-Canon product. Did you check on manufacturers site for a notice? Maybe a chip issue. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It is non Canon, but as it works on the others and even a friends 5Dmk2 can anyone see a reason why this would occur?

@Clouts11 wrote:
It is non Canon, but as it works on the others and even a friends 5Dmk2 can anyone see a reason why this would occur?

I think John probably had the answer: your 3rd-party 2X converter is incompatible with the camera. The manufacturer may have gotten it right for earlier Canon cameras, but not for the 7D2, which probably wasn't out yet when the converter was designed. You can call Canon Support, but I'll bet they'll tell you the same thing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Clouts11 wrote:

I think John probably had the answer: your 3rd-party 2X converter is incompatible with the camera. The manufacturer may have gotten it right for earlier Canon cameras, but not for the 7D2, which probably wasn't out yet when the converter was designed. You can call Canon Support, but I'll bet they'll tell you the same thing.

Don't call Canon support. Call the manufacturer of your Teleconverter, they will tell you the same thing, but, might have a way to upgrade your Teleconverter. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
A possible reason is an incompatiblity between that particular T/C and the 7D Mark II, which is why I suggested checking the vendor site.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements