cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7DM2 Lens Aberration Correction does it affect RAW image or just jpegs?

GL2U
Apprentice

New 7DM2. If Lens Aberration Correction is enabled in menu does it affect the RAW image as well as any jpegs or just any jpegs that are created? My new camera first stoopid question!! Did not find answer in manual!!

EOS 5D, 7DMII, 16-35 F2.8L, 24-105 F4/L, 70-200 F2.8L, EF-S10-22 F3.5/4.5
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There are no stupid questions hereSmiley Happy

Lens corrections will be applied to JPEG and recognized in RAW if you use Canon DPP. If you use Lightroom or any other non-Canon software they are not recognized.  Lightroom does have its own set of Canon lens correction profiles.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

You can use DPP in conjunction with PSE. Open the raw file in DPP, use the Digital Lens Optimizer in DPP, export a TIFF and then import into PSE. A little clunky, but it works.

There are philosophical issues some folks have with the Adobe software "rental" business model, but if that doesn't bother you the $10/month Photographer Bundle gives you Lightroom and Photoshop. A great deal.

If that interests you I think there is a 30 day refund policy for PSE. You can always call Adobe and see what you can negotiate if you are interested.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There are no stupid questions hereSmiley Happy

Lens corrections will be applied to JPEG and recognized in RAW if you use Canon DPP. If you use Lightroom or any other non-Canon software they are not recognized.  Lightroom does have its own set of Canon lens correction profiles.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

Thanks for the clarifying response. I just received PE14, so I do not use DPP. Had been a "lite" user of PE12 but it was not capable of reading my new RAW files. Spoke with someone else yesterday and they were a Lightroom user, maybe I should have tried and ordered that instead. I'm not familiar with LR. Not sure if PE14 has lens correction profiles....probably not with my luck. Anyway I am greatfull for your prompt response.

You can use DPP in conjunction with PSE. Open the raw file in DPP, use the Digital Lens Optimizer in DPP, export a TIFF and then import into PSE. A little clunky, but it works.

There are philosophical issues some folks have with the Adobe software "rental" business model, but if that doesn't bother you the $10/month Photographer Bundle gives you Lightroom and Photoshop. A great deal.

If that interests you I think there is a 30 day refund policy for PSE. You can always call Adobe and see what you can negotiate if you are interested.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

You can use LR in conjunction with PSE. Open the raw file in DPP, use the Digital Lens Optimizer in DPP, export a TIFF and then import into PSE. A little clunky, but it works.

DPP also has a specific option to export a file directly to Photoshop. I haven't used it, so I don't really know how it works (including whether it uses TIFF or some other format). But it presumably allows you to apply Canon's lens corrections while still calling on the power of Photoshop when it's required.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"DPP also has a specific option to export a file directly to Photoshop."

And yet another reason to just start with PS in the first place.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Gentleman Holy Information Overload !

J. Hoffman you are correct I'm not interested in the monthly fee rental approach but not sure its philosophical but financial!

ebiggs1 hopefully I'm normal but you are correct that I'm definitely a non-pro amateur at best picture taker. When you speak of Adobe's Raw converter (ACR9) did you mean their DNG converter? I did d/L that produces a dng raw file I believe? I'll have to go back and try it again as I did not remember any lens correction feature?

Have just used PSE 8,12, and now 14 lightly to do minor enhancements. Probably need to dedicate more time to learning to use more of it's features. And for that reason I've never tried the full PS.

Trying to understand the Lens Abberation Correction feature in my new 7DM2 and how to use it and benefit from it. I do have some good "L" lens 16-35 2.8L, 24-105 F4/L and 70-200 2.8L however with this new crop sensor camera was considering and looking at the EF10-22 F3.5/4.5 lens to get a little more width (travel landscape shots). Took some shots with it on my new camera while interesting there appeared to be a little lack of sharpness at 10mm at the periphery. I however had not added this lens to my lens data in the camera at the time I had the lens on the camera. Anyway a new camera and consideration of potential new lens purchase was the genesis of my question of use, how-to and benefit of Lens Abberration Correction.

I Am gratefull 2 all for your thoughts and suggestions!!

OK being an amateur you will get the most from PSE14.  But you will have to spend some quality time with it to get the most out of it.  You must learn it, to use it.

The DNG converter is not the same as the more powerful ACR 9 converter.  PSE14 should support ACR9 but I can't say positive as I don't have PSE14.

ACR, which stands for Adobe Camera Raw, has lens correction plus many more featuers.  Again you need to learn it.

This is as good as it gets without goint to full on Photoshop.

The EF-S 10-22mm is a really nice lens.  It will work perfectly on your 7D Mk II.  I had one on my 7D before I sold them.

I know have the 8-15mm f4L and is one of my most fun lenses to play with.  It is a fisheye at the lowest mm.  The 10-22mm is not.

EB

BTW, ACR should have come embedded in your PSE14.  You may need to update it, however.

EB

Also keep in mind that Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer in Canon Digital Photo Professional does more than the lens corrections done in Lightroom, ACR, or Photoshop.

What Digital Lens Optimizer Does

After passing the lens and various filters, the light has diverted from the ideal condition as it reaches the image sensor where the image will be formed. This is due to the influence of factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and the low-pass filter. If these influences can be compensated for using highly precise and specific data, the result ideally would be the original and optimal image. This is the unique principle behind the Digital Lens Optimizer. Factors contributing to optical image deterioration as the light passes through the lenses and filters in the camera were identified and converted into mathematical functions (optical transfer functions (OTF)). By applying the inverse functions to the captured image, the state of the light (image quality) can be returned to approach the state that the incident light had before entering the camera.
The factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and low-pass filter influence differ for different lenses and cameras, and they also are dependent on shooting parameters. The Digital Lens Optimizer therefore uses inverse functions that are carefully optimized and based on precise data. This makes it possible to compensate even for complex and asymmetric aberrations such as coma.

DLO

Announcements