cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7DII tether or Wifi to IPad 10.2?

Inkjetsetter
Contributor

I get excellent results shooting with 7DII tethered to MacPro (tower, in studio)

I would like to preview my images on my new iPad 10.2 while in the field.

THe iPad 10.2 has a lightning cable for charging -but I don't know if that can be tethered to a camera - ???

THere is a WiFi card that fits the SD slot in the 7DII. So perhaps I could set capture to record Raw AND JPG and review the JPGs on the iPad?

I don't really need to CONTROL the camera view iPad. Just review images on a bigger screen.

Anyone with experience using any of these setups? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Inkjetsetter
Contributor

I just spoke to B&H Photo. They say it seems like using a wifi card to connect to iPad 10.2 requires jailbreak of ipad to connect. Doesn't sound like a good option. Has anyone done this?

Another option appears to be Tether Tools Case Wireless Tether System $159. Which sounds workable but expensive. 

Has anyone here tried either (or both) of these options? Thanks

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm not sure that's correct with the Canon wifi card.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-W-E1-Wi-Fi-Adapter.aspx

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John!

IMHO, a small laptop with LR installed is the best option. I use and have used this setup for years.  It works very well.  If you do decide to go this route, I realize you already have an ipad, make sure you get active USB cables.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"THe iPad 10.2 has a lightning cable for charging -but I don't know if that can be tethered to a camera - ???"

Apple sells a USB3 Camera Adapter :

Annotation 2020-01-30 105247.jpg

but this can only be used to download images to the Photos app and Files app; won't allow real time viewing.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements