cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7DII and camera raw download

tinwhistle
Enthusiast

Have had my 7DII in hand for about 10 days. All was going well until this evening. I down loaded the days crop using Canon EOS utility just as I have been all along. However when I attempted to open the raw in Photo shop 12 it wouldn't open, same when I tried CS6. Pop up told me I didn't have the proper camera raw soft ware. Never mind that I've been downloading Raw images for some time now and have downloaded Raw images from this camera for almost two weeks. So. I installed the latest up dates. Now I am able to open raw files in CS6 but still receive the same popup when using PS 12.

Hey Canon, is this a camera glitch or what?????

tinwhistle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

Photoshop 12 is better known as CS5. It's is an older version that, along with it's older version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), will not support a newer camera model such as the 7DII.

Or, maybe you mean Photoshop ELEMENTS 12... that's newer than CS5, but still has

also has been superseded and uses an older version of ACR which does not support 7DII and never will.

The update to CS6 was the correct thing to do. Actually, the update to ACR was what was needed. It's now able to handle 7DII RAW files. If I recall correctly it's ACR 9.1. I believe it also works with the even newer Canon DSLRs: 5Ds/5Ds-R and T6i/T6s.

But those will likely be the last Canon DSLRs that will be supported in CS6 and it's related ACR version. Adobe has announced that this will be the last update of ACR for CS6 (and Lightroom 6). They're discontinuing support for the stand-alone, licensed products.

The next update, ACR 9.1.1, will only work with Photoshop CC, the cloud-based, subscription version of PS (and LR CC). So you'll have to rent the software and pay monthly, if you want to contine using PS in the future, with as-yet unannounced new camera models.

Something else you could have done and we can do in the future is convert our cameras' CR2 RAW files to Adobe DNG files, which are another form of RAW file. Adobe DNG Converter is free to download, to do this. And DNG is backward compatible with older versions of Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom.

If all this sounds rather monopolistic on Adobe's part... well, it is.

I expect once they've done away with the stand-alone versions of PS and LR they'll start ratcheting up the price on the CC versions. It's reasonably priced right now at $10 a month (which happens to work out close to what I tended to spend on stand-alone upgrades of PS and LR over the years). Who knows when the prices will start to go up or by how much. But, I imagine they will. After all, when they first announced Photoshop CC, Adobe offered an "introductory discount" to existing licensees of $30 a month, for PS CC alone. I guess it didn't sell very well because they spent the next year gradually lowering the price to where we are now... PS CC and LR CC bundled together for $10 a month.

However, I take that initial $30/month as an indication of what Adobe thinks their products are worth and would like to charge for PS CC in the not-too-distant future. So personally, after 20 years using PS (starting with Version 4) and using LR since shortly after the first version was introduced, I'm exploring my alterantives.

P.S. You don't really need to use EOS Utility to download your files. You can simply use Windows Explorer to create destination folders, then open the memory card, highlight all the files and drag/drop/copy them over to your hard drive. (Similar can be done on a Mac, if that's what you're using.) It takes less time to do than it does to write about it here!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

PS12 is probably too early a program to have a 7D MkII decoder.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Agree with above comment. Adobe's site should confirm that.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"However when I attempted to open the raw in Photo shop 12 it wouldn't open, same when I tried CS6."

Let me get this straight.  For two weeks these programs did open the 7D Mk II raw files?  And all of a sudden they won't?

With PS or PSE 12, which is what I believe you have, do not open raw files at all.  They require ACR.  That is the update you need.  It doesn't make sense that they worked and now they don't.   I also doubt, but maybe it will, PSE12 can be upgraded to the latest ACR.  CS6 is compatibille with the latest ACR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Adobe added RAW support for the 7D II in Adobe Camera RAW 8.7 (you would need that version).

See:  http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/11/camera-raw-8-7-and-dng-converter-8-7-now-available.h...

Normally I'd say you need that version or newer, but in the case of PS6 there apparently never will be anything newer.  According to Adobe, Camera RAW 8.7 is the last version of Camera RAW that they plan to make available for PS6.  (they want users to upgrade.)

As for Photoshop Elements 12... the last version of Camera RAW that Adobe made available to Elements 12 was Camera RAW 8.5.  If you want support in Photoshop Elements (but as you have the full version of Photohop I'm not sure there would be a point in upgrading Elements) then you would have to upgrade it to Elements 13.

This is (whether we like it or not) typical of how Adobe handles RAW updates.  Once they come out with a new version of software, they very quickly stop making RAW updates for prior versions and you have to upgrade the software to get new updates.

At least you've got RAW support for your 7D II in PS6 working.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"...  in the case of PS6 there apparently never will be anything newer."

PS6 or CS6 support ACR 9.   See my sig?  Smiley Happy

EB

amfoto1
Authority

Photoshop 12 is better known as CS5. It's is an older version that, along with it's older version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), will not support a newer camera model such as the 7DII.

Or, maybe you mean Photoshop ELEMENTS 12... that's newer than CS5, but still has

also has been superseded and uses an older version of ACR which does not support 7DII and never will.

The update to CS6 was the correct thing to do. Actually, the update to ACR was what was needed. It's now able to handle 7DII RAW files. If I recall correctly it's ACR 9.1. I believe it also works with the even newer Canon DSLRs: 5Ds/5Ds-R and T6i/T6s.

But those will likely be the last Canon DSLRs that will be supported in CS6 and it's related ACR version. Adobe has announced that this will be the last update of ACR for CS6 (and Lightroom 6). They're discontinuing support for the stand-alone, licensed products.

The next update, ACR 9.1.1, will only work with Photoshop CC, the cloud-based, subscription version of PS (and LR CC). So you'll have to rent the software and pay monthly, if you want to contine using PS in the future, with as-yet unannounced new camera models.

Something else you could have done and we can do in the future is convert our cameras' CR2 RAW files to Adobe DNG files, which are another form of RAW file. Adobe DNG Converter is free to download, to do this. And DNG is backward compatible with older versions of Photoshop, Elements and Lightroom.

If all this sounds rather monopolistic on Adobe's part... well, it is.

I expect once they've done away with the stand-alone versions of PS and LR they'll start ratcheting up the price on the CC versions. It's reasonably priced right now at $10 a month (which happens to work out close to what I tended to spend on stand-alone upgrades of PS and LR over the years). Who knows when the prices will start to go up or by how much. But, I imagine they will. After all, when they first announced Photoshop CC, Adobe offered an "introductory discount" to existing licensees of $30 a month, for PS CC alone. I guess it didn't sell very well because they spent the next year gradually lowering the price to where we are now... PS CC and LR CC bundled together for $10 a month.

However, I take that initial $30/month as an indication of what Adobe thinks their products are worth and would like to charge for PS CC in the not-too-distant future. So personally, after 20 years using PS (starting with Version 4) and using LR since shortly after the first version was introduced, I'm exploring my alterantives.

P.S. You don't really need to use EOS Utility to download your files. You can simply use Windows Explorer to create destination folders, then open the memory card, highlight all the files and drag/drop/copy them over to your hard drive. (Similar can be done on a Mac, if that's what you're using.) It takes less time to do than it does to write about it here!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Thanks guys, I appreciate the exchange. My 7DII did indeed open Raw files with both Elements 12 and CS6, but as stated, quit last night. I downloaded all the updates I could and Raw opens withuot a hitch in CS6. I did discover, however, if I double left click the RAW icon it will open in 12. I have no idea of what is going on, and as long as it's working, I'll keep on doing what I'm doing. I will try the Windows Explorer method later tonight after the shoot I'm scheduled for this evening. I'll let ya all know!

tinwhistle

From what I know, Alan Myers, reply is a little short on info, as I am guessing Photoshop Elements will stay a stand alone.  And as such will be able to open the newest camera RAW files.  But with Adobe, who knows.  They seem to have lost much concern for its customers.  That is what happens when you re the big dog and 99.5% of all pros and commercial shops use it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

..... I am guessing Photoshop Elements will stay a stand alone.  And as such will be able to open the newest camera RAW files....

You're right... I don't use and didn't get into Elements at all. It is likely to remain an affordable stand-alone software, at least for the time being.

Unfortunately, Elements has limited capabilities. It can only produce sRGB 8 bit files (AFAIK, just JPEGs). That's fine for many folks. But those of us who need to work with TIFFs or PSDs and CMYK (a lot of commercial uses), A-RGB or ProFoto RGB are simply out of luck with Elements.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements