cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D2 and the ONE SHOT < > AI Servo

digital
Rising Star

Nice touch to be able to program other buttons to toggle between One Shot and AI Servo other than the DOF button, which has to be in the most awkward location you could have found. Finally.

How about a FW update for the 5D3? 

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

Are you sure it doesn't?  You could set up the 7D to toggle AF modes with the DoF button, through custom functions.  I'd be surprised if they took this feature out of the 7D2.

Yes. With the 7D using the DOF button was the only option and I hated the location. I never used it. I can program either the AF- On button or the * button to toggle back and forth with my 7D2. I programmed the * button for that. Much easier to work with. I wish my old 7D had offered that. Wish my 5D3 had that. I need it more on that body for weddings. If I'm going birding or sports shooting with my 7D2 I wil just switch it over Ai Sevro and leave it there. If I need to shoot a static object AI Servo works well.

As for weddings. I disable the beep in the church but when shooting static objects I want to see the focus confirnation light up in my viewfinder. Outside the church beep goes back on.T o continually try and see the if the AF has locked on in the view finder in AI Servo is exhausting after 8 hours. I use AI Servo for moments like bridal patry walking down the isle, etc. The rest of the time it was on single shot. The quicker and easier it is to toggle back and forth the better.                                

HPL
Enthusiast

>Digital "Nice touch to be able to program other buttons to toggle between One Shot and AI Servo other than the DOF button, which has to be in the most awkward location you could have found."

Am I correct that the toggleing only works as long as one holds down the selected button?  If so, that seems of very little use to me, and as an aside, I have to take exception with the underlined phrase above if you are referencing the MKII.  The depth of field button is finally in a position that makes sense to me.  It is right at the ring finger on my right hand and VERY easy to access.

"Am I correct that the toggleing only works as long as one holds down the selected button?" Yes in a one button hold situation. If you want the change to be permanent there is more than just one step which takes time when you are in a hurry.   

You don't have to use two buttons any longer to change AF modes on the 7D2. Why is that? Because Canon added the AF selector lever outside the multi controller button. Why did they waste their time to add it? Because you only need one button to cycle between AF modes which makes it faster. The 5D2, 5D3 and the 7D do not have that. 

"I have to take exception with the underlined phrase above if you are referencing the MKII." Are you on the Canon design team  because it appears I have upset you? If the DOF button position was so comfortable for everyone why did Canon add additonal programming buttons on the back of the 7D2 for this?

I try to be easy going but your post was beyond wierd.   

@HPL wrote:

and as an aside, I have to take exception with the underlined phrase above if you are referencing the MKII. 

He's clearly not:

"Yes. With the 7D using the DOF button was the only option and I hated the location."

Announcements