cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D2- Reposition your focus point location with a single button press.

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

Cool Tip for the 7D MKII (and probably other models)

From the full manual- Page 445: Custom Controls: You can assign often-used functions (and/or actions) to camera buttons or dials according to your preferences.

If my count is correct, there are 36 AF/Exposure/Image/and Operation settings/functions/actions that you can assign/reassign to up to 11 of the camera’s buttons. Not all actions can be assigned to every button. I certainly have not digested the whole section, but so far I have one that I love: changing the focus “point” between two pre-set positions.

I’ve “registered” the center focus spot (actually the 5 center spot group) and assigned the “AF start position” to the camera’s DOF button. There are many instances where I want the initial shot(s) to have the main object off to the side of the frame, and after the action starts switch to the center.

Holding focus on the quarterback, yet having both teams’ starting lines in the frame, then switching to track the ball & ball carrier, etc. Or shifting the batter-catcher-umpire off to the side then switching to center spot to follow the ball/runner, or catch the slide into a base.

I can set the initial focus point(s) anywhere, take the initial shot, and with a touch of the DOF button, they switch to the center (or registered location) and then follow the action.

Before you start – yeah, I know about Back Button Focus, and focus then re-frame, but often when shooting f/2.8 the DOF is so shallow that even slight movements by the object affect the focus.

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I'm no expert, on the subject, though. Sports photos is not my thing again.

Okay, you know about back focus  button, and using a single center point to focus. This gives you the ability to pre-focus on a subject, and then snap the picture RIGHT NOW, without having to wait for the for the camera to focus, or indefinitely holding the shutter halfway down.  As you note, the drawback is that the subject can quickly move out of focus.

What about a back focus button (ON/OFF) when using AI-Servo Mode?  I think the idea is to able to turn focus tracking on a subject, while using the shutter button to lock exposure and snap a picture.  Don't know how well that works, though, but that is how I would try it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I hear you - but when I'm shooting sports I don't use BBF.  Using AI-SERVO and the shutter button's half-press to maintain focus, I pretty much don't pull my finger off until the action is over.  With the adjustable "tracking sensitivity" I no longer have to release than re-press the BBF when the action moves behind an umpire or a coach, or a post - I just keep the half-press and the AF "ignores" the interference.  Since the "*" button is still active, I do sometimes remove AF Start from the shutter button.

I love this camera and its configurable firmware.  With 5 grandkids, each with at least 2 sports, it's a real blast finding was to increase the quality of my shots AND learning more efficient/easier ways to operate the equipment!

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

" I just keep the half-press and the AF "ignores" the interference.  Since the "*" button is still active, I do sometimes remove AF Start from the shutter button.

I think most folks would prefer not having to hold the shutter button halfway, which was the whole point of adding back button focus feature.  Count me in that group.  Moving the camera around causes me to lose the half-press.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements