cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D2- Record/Play to changes when I remove and reinsert SD card - even when power is off?

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

I set my 7D MKII to record to, and play from the SD card (2).  I have a CF (1) card inserted for backup, but its never overflowed to it.

With power off, if I remove the SD card, offload the images, and reinsert it, then power on - the record/play is set to (1) the CF card.  Is this a software bug?  Is there a setting I missed?  I could see it if I powered on and shot some pics with only the CF card inserted.  But the firmware should wait until a shot is taken before changing a setting.

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
7 REPLIES 7

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

Hi PJ:

It's not a software bug.

To automatically continue recording and play to the CF card when SD is filled, you have to set the Record func+card/folder select to 'Auto swith card'. It's the first tab under the yellow tool menu.

However, when you switch off and pull out the active card (the SD in your case) to offload the pictures it will default back to the other card (that's the CF card in your case) - unless you tell it by way of the menu: which card is the first to use. This is Canon's default setup ...

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks for answering, but I MHO I believe this default action is an error.  I am set to Auto-switch, and the preferential order is to use slot #2, and when full, switch to card #1.  And to me, that user preference should NOT be changed because I've temporarily removed, then reinserted the #2 card - all while power is off

If for no other reason, my laptop, and most of today's laptops do NOT have a CF card reader, but most do have a SD slot.  And it's a lot easier to move the SD card from the camera to the laptop than to pull out and use the cable. 

Does it make sense that if (for whatever reason) you change SD cards you also must go into the options and re-select the record/play preference - EVERY TIME

To me, that preference should only be changed by the firmware if you press the shutter button when the preferred slot is empty.

Do all dual-slot cameras act that way?

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

@PajamaGuy wrote:

Thanks for answering, but I MHO I believe this default action is an error.  I am set to Auto-switch, and the preferential order is to use slot #2, and when full, switch to card #1.  And to me, that user preference should NOT be changed because I've temporarily removed, then reinserted the #2 card - all while power is off

If for no other reason, my laptop, and most of today's laptops do NOT have a CF card reader, but most do have a SD slot.  And it's a lot easier to move the SD card from the camera to the laptop than to pull out and use the cable. 

Does it make sense that if (for whatever reason) you change SD cards you also must go into the options and re-select the record/play preference - EVERY TIME

To me, that preference should only be changed by the firmware if you press the shutter button when the preferred slot is empty.

Do all dual-slot cameras act that way?

Alas, the 5D Mark III does. And having recently bought a 7D2 for my wife, I'm disappointed to hear that it shares this behavior. I agree that it's a misfeature and have said so (about the 5D3) once or twice in this forum.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I've traded emails with 3 levels of Canon Support with the result being - "That's the way it is, but we'll forward your issue along..."

My advice is to get into the habit of checking/changing the setting every time you insert a card and double-check with the "Q" every time you power on.

...and get a small CF reader for your bag...

PJ
(Grampy)

@PajamaGuy wrote:

I've traded emails with 3 levels of Canon Support with the result being - "That's the way it is, but we'll forward your issue along..."

My advice is to get into the habit of checking/changing the setting every time you insert a card and double-check with the "Q" every time you power on.

You can transfer all the images from the CF card to the SD card in camera.

Under Playback (first blue tab) choose 'Image Copy', you can choose to copy individual photos, entire folders, or the complete card.

edit: that said, I don't like it switching cards like it does, but, for a different reason. The CF card interface is faster than the SD card, and I want images going to the CF card so it clears the buffer as quickly as possible. So I don't like it when the camera switches from CF to SD when I remove then reinsert the CF card. So, yes I would like to see Canon allow you to choose which is the default card when two cards are present. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@PajamaGuy wrote:

Under Playback (first blue tab) choose 'Image Copy', you can choose to copy individual photos, entire folders, or the complete card.

edit: that said, I don't like it switching cards like it does, but, for a different reason. The CF card interface is faster than the SD card, and I want images going to the CF card so it clears the buffer as quickly as possible. So I don't like it when the camera switches from CF to SD when I remove then reinsert the CF card. So, yes I would like to see Canon allow you to choose which is the default card when two cards are present. 

Well, it does let you do that. The problem is that it doesn't maintain that choice if you take the primary card out and then put it back in. I think most users would prefer that it did, and fixing it should be a trivial firmware change.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

RobertTheFat wrote:

TTMartin wrote:

PajamaGuy wrote:

Well, it does let you do that. The problem is that it doesn't maintain that choice if you take the primary card out and then put it back in. I think most users would prefer that it did, and fixing it should be a trivial firmware change.

Yes, I would prefer that too. Which is what I said in my edit. I did want to point out that you don't necessarly need to carry an extra card reader because you can transfer the files from card to card in camera. Not to mention you can always use a USB cable attached to the camera too.

Announcements