cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D with incorrect Mode Dial readings

satmike
Apprentice

I recently updated the firmware on my 7D to 2.0.6, and discovered on a recent shoot that I had lost the ability to do anything in Manual.  Upon closer inspection, it now looks like I have lost the ability to select "Creative Auto", Aperature Priotrity, and Manual.  I do, however, now have dual instances of "Program", Shutter Priority, and Bulb, each occupying one of the missing modes' slots.  I have tried clearing the defaults via the menu, as well as trying to do the factory default by removing the internal clock battery.  Is there anyway to rollback the firmware?  Any other ideas?  Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try reinstalling firmware.

If that doesn't work give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks mate, unfortunately I have tried a few times with reinstalling the firmware, including fresh dowloads, with no joy.  I will certainly be giving Canon a call this morning, though not expecting much as I am long out of warranty.

@satmike wrote:

Thanks mate, unfortunately I have tried a few times with reinstalling the firmware, including fresh dowloads, with no joy.  I will certainly be giving Canon a call this morning, though not expecting much as I am long out of warranty.

We've heard of cases where the label on the mode dial has gotten rotated (it's sometimes glued on rather weakly), so that the dial's various settings no longer say what they mean. You should probably try to rule that out before spending money on a repair.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, but the label is affixed firmly.  The current mode dial readings are as follows:

A---------->Auto

CA-------->Program

P---------->Program

TV-------->TV

AV-------->TV

M--------->Bulb

B--------->Bulb

Ray-uk
Whiz

If you can find an old version of the firmware you can re-install that but I would suggest the the new version you installed was corrupted. The best thing to try first is to get a fresh download of the new version and re-install that.

Thanks, though I have tried with multiple, fresh downloads

diverhank
Authority

It's probably just a coincidence that a firmware was done - I think your Mode Dial is broken.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements