cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D vs 70D

chief
Rising Star

Which would be a better camera the 7d or 70d  for shooting birds and is my Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6. compatible with both

22 REPLIES 22

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...that’s just a matter of sending the lens back to the 3rd party vendor to have it’s firmware updated."

And, that can become quite a daunting to impossible task.  Much better to for go any lens in that category.  They probably aren't worth it anyway.  Time or money spent.

The OP's Tamron 150-600 was one of those 3rd party lenses that needs to be sent back (multiple times) for compatibility with newer Canon cameras.

Update of SP150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011) for panning shots

Due to the original design, the use of VC (Vibration Compensation) function could potentially increase the probability of image blur when shooting fast-moving subjects, such as racing cars, using a panning technique.

We are pleased to advise you that the VC function of SP 150-600mm now can be updated to accommodate panning shots with VC Mode "ON".

Whether you try to capture a stationary subject or something moving at a relatively high speed such as automobiles, the system automatically selects the optimal VC mode by detecting the motion of the camera/lens outfit. Thus, no switch-over is required between "ON" and "OFF" after the update.

The modification can be done by overwriting the firmware data at Tamron authorized service station. For handling procedures please contact your local Tamron distributor.

This update only effects lens performance when taking panning shots, so you may continue to enjoy the lens without this update.

Please feel free to inquire any further details to our authorized service stations.

◎ Model A011 with the following serial numbers have the new firmware.

Serial Number [As of May 12]
For Canon 055889~055907, 055909~055986, 055988~056009,
057062~057151, 058382~058501, 058832~058951,

059102~and up

Notice about compatibility for Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Please kindly note the following when using a Tamron lens on the Canon EOS 6D Mark II.

SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F012)
SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013)
SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F016)

A notice regarding compatibility issue with the Canon EOS 77D, 800D, 1D X Mark II, 5D Mark IV and availability of firmware update service (About AF functions on Live View mode)

Interchangeable lenses for Canon, which has been produced before May 11th, 2015

• SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A012)
  • SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A009)
  • SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011)
  • SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD (Model F004)
  • 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD (Model A010)

Notice about firmware update for 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC (Model B011) for Canon

Firmware update available for SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO1:1 VC USD (Model F017) for Canon

Firmware update service for SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (F012) and SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (F013)

A notice regarding compatibility issues with the EOS-1D X Mark II, 5D Mark IV and availability of firmware update service (about AF functions on Live View mode)

Affected models

Interchangeable lenses for Canon, which have been produced before May 11st, 2015

• SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD(Model F004)
  • 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO (Model B016)
A notice regarding compatibility issues with the EOS 80D and availability of firmware update service

Affected models Interchangeable lenses for Canon, which have been produced before May 11st

• SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD(Model F004)
  • 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO (Model B016)
A notice regarding compatibility issues with the EOS 5Ds and the EOS 5DsR, and availability of firmware update service

Affected models
For Canon

SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A012) 
SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A009) 
SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011) 
SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD(Model F004) 
28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD (Model A010) 
16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO (Model B016)

"...could potentially increase the probability of image blur when shooting fast-moving subjects, such as racing cars, using a panning technique."

The key word here is "could".  I had/have two of these lenses.  One for my D3x and one for Canon.  I sold the Canon version some time ago.  I never noticed any problems with either of mine.  So I never sent them in, still ain't going to.  Mainly now because of the G2 which is much better than the original.

The reason I consider this a 'daunting' task is Tamron, Sigma or Tokina is not Canon.  Ever try to get them on the phone? Email?  Sigma is getting better and so is Tamron, I admit.  Tokina not so much.  One friend of mine sent hers in and it was a couple months getting it back.  

If the OP's big Tammy is working OK with his current camera it should still work as well or better with a 7D.  Who knows?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...that’s just a matter of sending the lens back to the 3rd party vendor to have it’s firmware updated."

And, that can become quite a daunting to impossible task.  Much better to for go any lens in that category.  They probably aren't worth it anyway.  Time or money spent.

One of the main reasons why I recommend that people stick with Canon lenses.  Only go third party when Canon does not offer what you are looking for. 

Also, the Sigma Dock is my sole reason for choosing the Sigma 150-600 over the Tamron 150-600.  That was before they released the newer Tamron, which allows users to update the firmware themselves.

I applied a firmware update to my Sigma 150-600mm "C" back in the spring.  The update was a complete rewrite of the AF system.  The update transformed the lens into a completely new model.  It focuses faster, quieter, and more accurately.  Not only that, I no longer to need any of my painstakingly set AFMA adjustments I had set in the lens, which took several months to complete.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I just looked in the Refurbished Store.  The current best buy in stock is a 7D Mark II "Holiday Bundle".  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-7d-mark-ii-body-ef-50-14-refurbished-holiday-bundle

That is a very good price on the 7D Mk II even without the lens. 

I've never been a fan of the EF 50mm f/1.4, and even less so when the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM was released. But, since you are basically getting the lens for free it's hard to complain about that.

That is a very oddball kit, makes me think they are clearing out old EF 50mm f/1.4 stock in anticipation of a new EF 50mm f/1.4.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I just looked in the Refurbished Store.  The current best buy in stock is a 7D Mark II "Holiday Bundle".  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-7d-mark-ii-body-ef-50-14-refurbished-holiday-bundle

That is a very good price on the 7D Mk II even without the lens. 

I've never been a fan of the EF 50mm f/1.4, and even less so when the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM was released. But, since you are basically getting the lens for free it's hard to complain about that.

That is a very oddball kit, makes me think they are clearing out old EF 50mm f/1.4 stock in anticipation of a new EF 50mm f/1.4.

Yup.  The lens is basically a give away.  I just suggest that you go for that deal.  Once it sells out, I doubt if it will come back. 

I would avoid the 70D altogether.  The older 7D is a nice camera, but the newer models, 7D2 and 80D, are more capable cameras.  Take your pick while they are in stock, 7D2 or 80D.  It is your budget.

The big Tamron lens should work with the 7D Mark II without issues, although I prefer the AF system of the 80D to that in the 7D Mark II.  There is something about having more 27 f/8 points, compared to just one in the 7D Mark II. 

It is a hard choice to make, 80D or 7D2..  Each has advantages over the other.  The 80D has more consumer oriented features.  The 7D2 has more professional oriented features.

"It is a hard choice to make, 80D or 7D2"

Do you want plastic or metal.  Weather sealing or not?  Pro level or consumer? Otherwise the THREE cameras are 'almost' the same.  The T7i, 77D and 80D.  You can claim difference in the AF and you would be correct but in real world use not much difference will be noticed.

"Only go third party when Canon does not offer what you are looking for. "

I am true blue Canon but there are real gems out there.  If you stick to that rule, you will miss out on some great glass. A current lens inventory north of forty proves that fact to me. I encourage you to try some.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It is a hard choice to make, 80D or 7D2"

Do you want plastic or metal.  Weather sealing or not?  Pro level or consumer? Otherwise the THREE cameras are 'almost' the same.  The T7i, 77D and 80D.  You can claim difference in the AF and you would be correct but in real world use not much difference will be noticed.

"Only go third party when Canon does not offer what you are looking for. "

I am true blue Canon but there are real gems out there.  If you stick to that rule, you will miss out on some great glass. A current lens inventory north of forty proves that fact to me. I encourage you to try some.

There you go again.  Who is talking about the T7i and 77D besides you, Ernie?  Not me, that's for certain.  Your above post proves it.  Thanks.

"Only go third party when Canon does not offer what you are looking for. "'

There are some great third party lenses out there.  But, your negative remarks about the bad service you can get from those some of those third parties, which I quoted BTW, are enough to justify my advice.  Besides, those third party gems that you speak of are typically professional grade lenses, not comsumer grade lenses.

If you find a third party lens when a Canon does not fit your budget, then by all means, go for it.  My advice is not a rigid rule, as you seem to characterize it.  It is a suggestion.  A suggestion to look at the Canon lineup first, before you start looking at third party lenses.  

OK put th egg nog down and let me explain it a little better for you.  First the T7i, 77D and 80D mention was simply to show the near similarity of the three.  Meaning it really makes no difference which one of these a person chooses.  That's all, nothing more.

It is true that third party lenses are not Canon.  Still some, maybe just a very few, are outstanding lenses.  Price is not the only reason.  Since you have never owned many or even tried many, your advice, opinion, whatever is not really conclusive. On the other hand I never advise, suggest, recommend, whatever affirmation, any lens I do not personally have or use.

I wish you the best holiday season and new year.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

OK put th egg nog down and let me explain it a little better for you.  First the T7i, 77D and 80D mention was simply to show the near similarity of the three.  Meaning it really makes no difference which one of these a person chooses.  That's all, nothing more.

It is true that third party lenses are not Canon.  Still some, maybe just a very few, are outstanding lenses.  Price is not the only reason.  Since you have never owned many or even tried many, your advice, opinion, whatever is not really conclusive. On the other hand I never advise, suggest, recommend, whatever affirmation, any lens I do not personally have or use.

I wish you the best holiday season and new year.

Thank you, and happy holidays to you, too, Ernie.

The 80D is very clearly a cut above the T7i or the 77D.  They are worlds apart on many levels.  

For Example:  The latter two share the same battery used in the M Series, which is a bit undersized for a DSLR.   Canon does not offer a battery grip to help extend the battery life.  The 80D uses the same battery found in the 5D, 6D, and 7D Series of camera bodies, and Canon makes a battery grip available.

The AF systems are very different.  Whereas the 80D offers 27 f/8 AF points, the T7i and 77D offer none.  Worlds apart.

Announcements