cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D vs 70D

chief
Rising Star

Which would be a better camera the 7d or 70d  for shooting birds and is my Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6. compatible with both

22 REPLIES 22

My vote is still for the 7D2 over an 80D, but the lack of an articulating screen is the only pain point for me.  I prefer the specs and build of the 7D2, but would want the screen on the 80D.  Glad I'm not the one choosing.  So tough call, but 20 more AF point to track birds is compelling. 

I've never had a need to contact Tamron, but I can say that I've called Sigma 3 times this year, and never waitied more than 2-3 minites to speak with someone.  They were very helpful and extremely friendly.  I've also emailed them and always received a response within 24hrs.  I'm a Canon guy too, but my 24-70 is bad a$$.  Even my canon buddies whom I've let shoot with it agree.   

Merry Christmas Everyone

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

My vote is still for the 7D2 over an 80D, but the lack of an articulating screen is the only pain point for me.  I prefer the specs and build of the 7D2, but would want the screen on the 80D.  Glad I'm not the one choosing.  So tough call, but 20 more AF point to track birds is compelling. 

I've never had a need to contact Tamron, but I can say that I've called Sigma 3 times this year, and never waitied more than 2-3 minites to speak with someone.  They were very helpful and extremely friendly.  I've also emailed them and always received a response within 24hrs.  I'm a Canon guy too, but my 24-70 is bad a$$.  Even my canon buddies whom I've let shoot with it agree.   

Merry Christmas Everyone

After having used both, I think the 80D is a better buy.  I do not need the articulating screen.  But, the performance of the 80D gives the 7D2 a healthy run for its' money. 

The 27 f/8 AF points seals the deal for me.  The weather sealing is nice to have, but I'm not getting paid to go out in bad weather.  The 80D seems to have slightly less noise.  A high frame rate is nice, but more often than not, the lens is the single most limiting factor.  I like to use focus priority.

The higher initial AF point count on the 7D2 is not always a significant advantage.  Depending upon the lens, the 7D2 can lose available AF points, bringing it more in line with the 80D available AF point count, especially with big telephotos.  If you like to use an extender, then the 80D is the definite choice, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, I assume you are looking used?  You should try the Canon refurb store to see if they have an 80D.  It might be a bit more expensive but it is a better camera and you will get the full Canon warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements