cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D vs 70D

chief
Rising Star

Which would be a better camera the 7d or 70d  for shooting birds and is my Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6. compatible with both

22 REPLIES 22

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

7D as build alone is way much better.  And. yes you can use that lens on either.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@chief wrote:

Which would be a better camera the 7d or 70d  for shooting birds and is my Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6. compatible with both

The 70D is better than the classic 7D. The 7D Mk II is better than the 70D.

@TTMartin wrote:

@chief wrote:

100% agree.  MKII for buid, dual digics, dual card, 65 AF points.  You want to take pictures of bids flying...  you'll do so effortlessly with the 7D2.  I am not a fan of the 80D..  but that's why there are choices. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@TTMartin wrote:

@chief wrote:

That the 7D Mk II is a better camera than the 70D is indisputable, especially for shooting birds. However, I think it's less clear that the 70D is better than the 7D. We've seen, in this forum, an unusually large number of complaints about 70D's that suddenly quit working and had to undergo an expensive repair or replacement of the main circuit board. There appears to be some evidence that the problem is related to heavy video usage, but Canon hasn't admitted to anything definite, AFAIK. So if I were making the decision, I'd avoid the 70D.

Full disclosure: I've never used a 70D, but I've owned and used 7D's for several years and found them to be absolutely reliable.

One camera you might want to look for is a refurbished 80D. (Edit: I see now that Ernie already suggested that.) The 80D is a modern design with some nice features, and I don't recall seeing any serious complaints about its reliability.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The 80D is a modern design with some nice features ..."

In this discussion the refurb 80D is the logical choice if one is available.  If price is doable that is.

In fact the 80D and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon just may be the best buy, overall, of any current DSLR/lens combo.

Otherwise go for a good used 7D.  Much better choice than a used 70D, IMVeryHO, of course.

EB

I just looked in the Refurbished Store.  The current best buy in stock is a 7D Mark II "Holiday Bundle".  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-7d-mark-ii-body-ef-50-14-refurbished-holiday-bundle

That is steal.  A 7D Mark II and EF 50mm f/1.4 for less than a 6D. 

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

The 80D Bundle with the EF-S 18-55mm lens is a steal, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks everybody, really looking at the 80D just to make sure my Tamron is compatible?

Any Canon DSLR (with the notable exception of a 10D... but that model was so very many years ago that it’s extremely rare anyone is still actively using one) that has an “APS-C” size image sensor can use ANY Canon EOS lens ... or lens designed for use with a Canon EOS body... with the exception of the Canon “EF-M” lenses (which are designed to fit Canon’s mirrorless “EOS-M” bodies.

The camera’s being discussed here... 7D (I or II), 70D, & 80D all have an APS-C size sensor.   The cameras that do not have APS-C size sensors are the EOS 1 series (1D, 1Ds, 1D X), the 5D series, and the 6D series.  

So yes... the lens will be fine.

From time to time an older 3rd party lens will have issues with a newer Canon body ... but often that’s just a matter of sending the lens back to the 3rd party vendor to have it’s firmware updated.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"...that’s just a matter of sending the lens back to the 3rd party vendor to have it’s firmware updated."

And, that can become quite a daunting to impossible task.  Much better to for go any lens in that category.  They probably aren't worth it anyway.  Time or money spent.

EB
Announcements