cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D pop up flash problem

chris1492
Contributor

I was using a rather cheap on camera flash on the 7D. Now I am finding that the pop up flash will not come up. When I go to the Flash Control settings I am getting messages that the external flash is still attached. I get messages like "This menu cannot be used. External flash is attached."

I tried cleaning the contacts on the external flash shoe... no help.

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
It wasn't a really cheap one like an old Vivitar or something?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

No, it was specifically meant for new Canons, bought at B&H , can't remember brand name, but it had a ring light attachment.

The last time I used it, it tested out okay at home then failed in the field... then I trashed it.

cale_kat
Mentor

Have you tried resetting the camera? A reboot, I believe, can be done by removing both main and auxiliary battery for some time.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Underneath the hot-shoe rails there are a couple of leaf-springs.  Under one of those springs is a tiny micro-switch.  If that button is pressed in then it tells teh camera that there is a flash in the hot-shoe and it wont pop-up.

If you've got any grit, etc. in the micro-switch then it can jam and you may need to clean it out.  Do not use "oil" (oil just attracts dust and dirt and gums up.)  A toothpick might be able to tease it into springing up.  If you do decide to use a cleaner, use something that evaporates... such as a drop of denatured alcohol.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ScottyP
Authority
I have read that some older designs of flashes still in use (like older examples of Vivitar Thrystor 285) use too much voltage and can fry a newer camera's hotshoe. I hope nothing similar happened here, like when the thing croaked hopefully it didn't somehow take out your hotshoe with current.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements