cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D mkii utility software

riverracer
Apprentice

been searching, but haven't found any info.

is there anyway to backup the camera settings?

either Canon or aftermarket windows software?

otherwise is there a list online somewhere that lists all the settings so i can jot them dowm?

or do i have to go screen by screen manually write them down?

i'm only learning with this new to me camera, and i keep changing settings around to try and karnt keep up with what works and what wont.

also, how about a shutter count program for a 7Dmkii?

i have tried about 4 programs, all say they will work, but nothing comes up.

running latest firmware in camera.

thanks

17 REPLIES 17

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@riverracer wrote:

You can save the complete camera state including custom function settings to C1, C2, or C3 on your camera. That way when you get something that works you can go back to those exact settings later simply by turning the knob to C1, C2, or C3.

I guess I'm one of them, but it's beside the point. I'm thinking more of when I drop cameras off at the Canon shop for cleaning, as I do at least once a year, and they come back reset to factory settings. I'd like to be able to quickly set them back to the way they were without having to plod my way through the menus. If there's a way to do that, I haven't found it.

I haven't done the annual cleaning thing, but I have had one repair made.  I asked for a cleaning, and it didn't come back reset.    The camera was still set for BBF, and my AFMA adjustments were still there, too.  

I admit that I do not have a lot custom setup in a 6D [bad wheel on rear panel], but nothing seemed changed or reset.  Are they erasing your AFMA info and lens registrations, too? 

[EDIT]. The C1 setup that I had saved was still there, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@riverracer wrote:

You can save the complete camera state including custom function settings to C1, C2, or C3 on your camera. That way when you get something that works you can go back to those exact settings later simply by turning the knob to C1, C2, or C3.

I guess I'm one of them, but it's beside the point. I'm thinking more of when I drop cameras off at the Canon shop for cleaning, as I do at least once a year, and they come back reset to factory settings. I'd like to be able to quickly set them back to the way they were without having to plod my way through the menus. If there's a way to do that, I haven't found it.

I haven't done the annual cleaning thing, but I have had one repair made.  I asked for a cleaning, and it didn't come back reset.    The camera was still set for BBF, and my AFMA adjustments were still there, too.  

I admit that I do not have a lot custom setup in a 6D [bad wheel on rear panel], but nothing seemed changed or reset.  Are they erasing your AFMA info and lens registrations, too? 

[EDIT]. The C1 setup that I had saved was still there, too.

The name and copyright information survives, but pretty much everything else has to be reëntered. I'm not sure about AFMA; the two cameras I had done this month didn't have any AFMA values set.

Twice in the past I've been in the middle of important shoots, only to discover that I was shooting JPEG instead of RAW. The first time, I hadn't realized that the parameters were going to be reset; the second time I simply forgot to check. Shame on me!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I believe the question was pointing to when one resets the camera, then one would like to restore settings back, or when one purchase a new camera and like to use the same settings from the old camera.  It is a simple function and Canon is not delivering on it..

@Abeiis wrote:

I believe the question was pointing to when one resets the camera, then one would like to restore settings back, or when one purchase a new camera and like to use the same settings from the old camera.  It is a simple function and Canon is not delivering on it..

All of the EOS 1D bodies can read and write their settings to the memory card.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Abeiis wrote:

Insufficient. Many professionals and serious amateurs use cameras in the 5D and 7D series. We're sometimes told (although not, I think, by Canon) that only the 1D series is worthy of professional use. But if that was ever true, it certainly isn't true now.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Abeiis wrote:

Insufficient. Many professionals and serious amateurs use cameras in the 5D and 7D series. We're sometimes told (although not, I think, by Canon) that only the 1D series is worthy of professional use. But if that was ever true, it certainly isn't true now.

I think any body with dual memory cards shold be capable of it.

I agree with you, "it is not the case now", and Canon should add this feature, otherwise, why provide us with so many settings...!

CANON, I hope you are listening.

@Abeiis wrote:

I agree with you, "it is not the case now", and Canon should add this feature, otherwise, why provide us with so many settings...!

CANON, I hope you are listening.

I hope so too. The current situation is especially galling because Canon pretty much sets a camera to factory settings when you send it in for cleaning. I've been burned twice (Shame on me!) for failing to take that into account and found myself, for example, shooting JPEGs at my next gig. Being able to save the settings wouldn't directly solve the problem, of course, but it would certainly make it easier to compensate for the reset. (And if Canon really wanted to show off their user friendliness, they could save the settings when they receive the camera and set them back when they're done.)

Bob
Announcements