cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D mkii utility software

riverracer
Apprentice

been searching, but haven't found any info.

is there anyway to backup the camera settings?

either Canon or aftermarket windows software?

otherwise is there a list online somewhere that lists all the settings so i can jot them dowm?

or do i have to go screen by screen manually write them down?

i'm only learning with this new to me camera, and i keep changing settings around to try and karnt keep up with what works and what wont.

also, how about a shutter count program for a 7Dmkii?

i have tried about 4 programs, all say they will work, but nothing comes up.

running latest firmware in camera.

thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Ray-uk
Whiz

Sadly there is no way to back up the camera settings apart from a piece of paper and a pen.

Shutter count for 7D2 can be shown with a program called EOSinfo from AstroJargon and it is freeware, I don't have a link but a Google search should find it.

EDIT ..............

Forget that, I've just run EOSinfo again and it doesn't seem to be working, it used to but I can only think that the latest camera firmware may be stopping it.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately, saving camera settings to your memory card seems to be a feature reserved for 1D Series camera bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Unfortunately, saving camera settings to your memory card seems to be a feature reserved for 1D Series camera bodies.

I didn't know that even the 1D series could do it.

But that's not necessarily what the OP was asking about, nor what I've suggested to Canon in this forum a couple of times. Which is that EOS Utility be made able to read the camera settings (which I believe it can already do) and save them to a file on the computer, and then write them back into the camera later. That should require little, if any, firmware that the camera doesn't already have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I didn't know that even the 1D series could do it.

But that's not necessarily what the OP was asking about, nor what I've suggested to Canon in this forum a couple of times. Which is that EOS Utility be made able to read the camera settings (which I believe it can already do) and save them to a file on the computer, and then write them back into the camera later. That should require little, if any, firmware that the camera doesn't already have.

The OP asked, "Is there any way to backup camera settings?"

I don't see any mention of a specific approach, like backing up to computer file.  Besides, you can always use a card reader to copy the settings file to your computer.  Don't know how well that works in reverse, though, copying to a card and letting the camera read it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@riverracer wrote:

thanks

When my refurbished 7D Mk II was delivered I wondered what the shutter count was. I purchased a program called ShutterCount from DireStudio for $4. It worked fine using Windows 7 on the 7D Mk II and I found the shutter count on my refurbished camera was 324.

@TTMartin wrote:

@riverracer wrote:

thanks

When my refurbished 7D Mk II was delivered I wondered what the shutter count was. I purchased a program called ShutterCount from DireStudio for $4. It worked fine using Windows 7 on the 7D Mk II and I found the shutter count on my refurbished camera was 324.

Sounds as though it was a store demo or something similar. If it went through the Canon refurb process, you probably got a very good deal.

Bob

@TTMartin wrote:

thanks, that program finally worked and gave me a count after trying ll the others.

turns out it had just over 21,200 shots, an i put nearly 600 on last couple weekends getting used to it.

as for the backing up, i found a spreadsheet online with all the menu pages and funtions,

so will make up a page that i can record my own settings on, to keep track of what works doing it my way.

thanks all

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@riverracer wrote:

You can save the complete camera state including custom function settings to C1, C2, or C3 on your camera. That way when you get something that works you can go back to those exact settings later simply by turning the knob to C1, C2, or C3.

Note: You don't have to be, or often don't want to be in C1, C2 or C3 when you are saving the settings. For example if you want Manual mode with Auto ISO, you would set the camera dial to M set Auto ISO, then save it to C1, then in the future C1 will be M with Auto ISO.  If you want Av with fixed ISO set the camera dial to Av and the ISO you want, then save it to C2, then in the future C2 will be Av with preset ISO.

When you want to tweak your C1, C2, or C3 settings you can be in that mode too. Say you decide you now want C2 to be Av with Auto ISO after having set it as described above. Now you can just go to C2 change the ISO setting and the resave C2. From then on C2 will reflect the settings. 

Note: the 7D Mk II has an option so that changes made while you are in C1, C2, or C3 will always be saved to the C mode you are in. I don't like that, but, some people do.

@TTMartin wrote:

@riverracer wrote:

You can save the complete camera state including custom function settings to C1, C2, or C3 on your camera. That way when you get something that works you can go back to those exact settings later simply by turning the knob to C1, C2, or C3.

Note: You don't have to be, or often don't want to be in C1, C2 or C3 when you are saving the settings. For example if you want Manual mode with Auto ISO, you would set the camera dial to M set Auto ISO, then save it to C1, then in the future C1 will be M with Auto ISO.  If you want Av with fixed ISO set the camera dial to Av and the ISO you want, then save it to C2, then in the future C2 will be Av with preset ISO.

When you want to tweak your C1, C2, or C3 settings you can be in that mode too. Say you decide you now want C2 to be Av with Auto ISO after having set it as described above. Now you can just go to C2 change the ISO setting and the resave C2. From then on C2 will reflect the settings. 

Note: the 7D Mk II has an option so that changes made while you are in C1, C2, or C3 will always be saved to the C mode you are in. I don't like that, but, some people do.

I guess I'm one of them, but it's beside the point. I'm thinking more of when I drop cameras off at the Canon shop for cleaning, as I do at least once a year, and they come back reset to factory settings. I'd like to be able to quickly set them back to the way they were without having to plod my way through the menus. If there's a way to do that, I haven't found it.

Bob
Announcements