cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D image sizes

kingtrac
Contributor

What print sizes would correspond to a Canon EOS7d full frame?

10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

No idea on print size but it takes 45 M pixels in a full frame sensor to be equal to the 7D sensor. 1.6 crop sensors have approx 40% of the area a FF sensor.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks cicopo!

Skirball
Authority

I have no idea what you mean by 7D full frame.  But here's a sizing chart.  Personally I find these things overly conservative, but it'll give you an idea:

http://www.design215.com/toolbox/megapixels.php

Thank you Skirball, the link helps.  I definitly should have taken more time to pose my question.  I'm a throwback to the 35 mm days.  I have always liked to print what I see in the view finder.  I want it the way I composed it.  So, for a Canon 7D, what sizes can I print without cropping?

Thanks in advance

The camera takes photos in the 2:3 ratio which translates to 2 X 3, 4 X 6, 6 X 9, 8 X 12 etc. One needs to be very aware of this when framing because it's important NOT to crop too tight when taking the shot IF it will be cropped to the much more common 8 X 10 If you shoot a family group and don't leave a bit of space at each side of them it's not going to work as an 8 X 10 without cutting someone out when cropping.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You mean, what size prints will be the same ratio as the sensor?

Well, the 7D is an APS-C, which has a 3:2 ratio, which is the same as 35mm film.  As far as standard sizes that would be 4x6 and its multiples: 8x12, 12x18, etc.

Edit: Oops, looks like Cicopo beat me to it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This seems to be confusing to most people when they here the term “crop camera”.

All cameras are full frame. The issue only refers to the comparison of the focal length of the lens compared to the 35mm cameras of yesteryear format.

What you see in your view finder is what you are going to get. Now if you decide on a different print size, you may see some crop. But you also experienced this with 35mm film, too.

As to the lens, the focal length of the lens does not change when installed on a 1.6 crop camera. A 50 mm lens is still a 50mm lens. It “acts' like an 80 mm lens if it were compared to a 35 mm format camera. This is because of the coverage are the lens has to work with.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 is right, although today we all call "Full Frame" cameras to cameras that have sensors with 36mm x24mm which is equivalent to the 35mm film size.

Canon APS-C cameras like EOS 7D, 60D, T4i, etc., have sensor of 22.2mm x 14.8mm.

But as ebiggs1 said, either you use Full Frame DSLRs or APS-C DSLRs, you always get what you see through the View Finder (if it covers 100%, if it doesn't you get a bit more). That also applied to 35mm film cameras. Nothing new here.

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

Thank you very much HDCamTeam!

Announcements