cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D connecting to computer

scpatriot
Contributor

A friend recently gave me a 7D in excellent condition after he upgraded.  When I try to connect to the computer it does not recognize the camera.  The EOS Utility program show the connect window, but nothing happens.  Any help is appreciated.

29 REPLIES 29

Agreed Robert, although in the 18 years that I have used Canon gear I have never felt the need to synchoronize my camera's clock, or to change the copyright info with a computer - still that's just me.  We haven't actually HAD a specific need expressed to connect to a computer via the USB cable, so I think we are all just giving it our best shot! Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Picture styles editor and lens registration tool may be useful to some.

I agree that it is not necessary to connect the camera to a computer. But, the camera has the capability and scpatriot has determined that since a different camera can connect that the failure to connect is something related to his 7D.

The engineer in me says that the problem should be identified, even if he ultimately chooses not to connect, just in case it is an internal problem that may indicate a circuit problem. Wouldn't want it to progress.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Tronhard wrote:

Agreed Robert, although in the 18 years that I have used Canon gear I have never felt the need to synchoronize my camera's clock, or to change the copyright info with a computer - still that's just me.  We haven't actually HAD a specific need expressed to connect to a computer via the USB cable, so I think we are all just giving it our best shot! Smiley Wink

When my wife and I go on a shoot together, or when I use two cameras, I want the cameras to be time-synched so that a date/time sort gives the correct result.

And when I was using my cameras for both work and personal shooting, it was very helpful to be able to change copyright notices easily. (Remembering to do it was the hard part!)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Tronhard

When my wife and I go on a shoot together, or when I use two cameras, I want the cameras to be time-synched so that a date/time sort gives the correct result.

And when I was using my cameras for both work and personal shooting, it was very helpful to be able to change copyright notices easily. (Remembering to do it was the hard part!)

Ah there is the difference!  My other half has absolutely no interest in photography so the only one carrying camera gear is me.  That said, I often carry multiple bodies but I am not worried about the exact order in which the shots were take to go and sync the times.

I use the same copyright notice for everything I do, although that said I have not shot professionally for a wee bit now...

All this is very well, but I STILL don't know if the OP NEEDS to be able to connect to his computer with his USB or not - especially if it may involve sending it in for service, which is never (in my experience) a cheap option.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Bob, good morning

The version of EOSU I'm using is from the Canon support website that has software listed for specific models.  The version they have for the 7D is dated 10/14/15.

The problem as I'm seeing it is the computer is not recognising the camera at all.  When I tried connecting the other camera, it immediately showed as a devise on the My Computer page.  That didn't happen with the 7D.  The only thing I can see as a possibility is something I realized after this discussion yesterday.  I mentioned yesterday that when I connected the camera  you heard the chime from the computer you always hear when connecting something.  I noticed last night that you hear the chime immediately upon connecting.  I then noticed that the mini USB on the camera seems loose.  This entire problem may possibly be from the plug on the camera.

Frank

@scpatriot wrote:

Bob, good morning

The version of EOSU I'm using is from the Canon support website that has software listed for specific models.  The version they have for the 7D is dated 10/14/15. ...

I think you should be using version 3.8.20 (2/27/2018). Look it up under one of the newer cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It could be a loose USB connection. There are two videos with possible solutions. Make some slight adjustments to the USB and see if it helps to improve the contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGGdsMsK3VU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxD2TAlxffw

@Tronhard wrote:

A question if I may?

Why are you connecting the camera to your computer to begin with? I can think of two reasons:

A third reason...

I regularly tether my cameras to my computer in order to sync their clocks. I shoot events with multiple cameras and need them synced so that the images will appear in the correct sequence. I've found that cameras tend to get a few seconds out of sync over the course of a week... so I always sync them the day before an event.

EOS Utilities, under the "camera settings" tab, date/time calls up a dialog box with a button that sets the camera's clock to match the computer's. Doing this with each camera insures they'll all be using the exact same time.

EDIT: Aww shoot! I just saw Robert posted the exact same response. Sorry for the redundancy! I agree too, that it's easier to set up copyright info on the camera with it tethered to the computer (there's a method to do it without a computer, I think... but if I recall it's a bit of a pain to do.)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

That there might be a hardware problem with the camera was one thought that occurred to me early on, but I was waiting to find out exactly what you wanted to do with the camera before anything else.  It is, after all a second-hand camera so it's not impossible that there may be the odd issue.

Is there a specific need for you to have to connect the camera to your computer via the USB cable?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements