cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D auto power off not working

aquadiver
Apprentice

My Canon EOS 7D is not turning itself off even though I have auto power off set for one minute. I think this problem began after I added a battery grip to the camera. Has anyone else had this problem?

gc

3 REPLIES 3

amfoto1
Authority

Is it a Canon battery grip, or a third party? I ask because I've heard of some strange things occuring when using non-OEM battery grips.

If it's a Canon battery grip, I'd try "rebooting" the camera to see if that clears the problem. Do you know how to do that? If not, it's pretty easy. Just remove all the batteries (including the date/time battery), turn the camera on and press the shutter release button once. It won't fire, but this will drain all remaining power from the system and force the camera to reboot. Put the batteries back in and check to see if the date/time needs to be reset... if so, you got a good reboot. (You might have to reset some of your other settings, too.)

Hopefully that helps. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

susiesum
Apprentice

@aquadiver wrote:

My Canon EOS 7D is not turning itself off even though I have auto power off set for one minute. I think this problem began after I added a battery grip plr to the camera. Has anyone else had this problem?

gc

I too have the same issue. I am really confused about what to do. Please let me know if you find a viable solution. 🙂

Susie

Update: First, it is a Canon battery grip.  I was able to determine it was not the cause of the problem, because the problem persisted even without the grip attached.

I e-mailed Canon tech support, who at first misunderstood my question and thought I just had a rapid battery discharge issue. They suggested rebooting to see if that solved the discharge problem. It did not. I already knew why the battery was draining so fast, because the camera wouldn't turn itself off. So they recommended I send it to Canon factory service. Which I did.

Turns out the problem was a bad main circuit board, and the solution was to replace the circuit  board. That ain't cheap, but it ws necessary. I thought about not getting it replaced and just trying to learn to turn the camera off manually more often, but I figured if the circult board was bad something else would randomly go wrong eventually.

So I expect the camera back today, and I expect it to work just fine. I should know better about expectation, but there you are.

Hope this is helpful to someone else....

gc

Announcements