Canon Community Canon Community

Honored Contributor

Re: 7D MkII Naming Files

"From what I've seen the file numbering with / without the Underscore as an indicator of which colorspace was used is carried across the brands of cameras. Nikon cameras do the very same thing so if (&but I haven't verified this) all the makers use this numbering system then it's very easy for those who work on image editing to know what they are starting with." 

I was referring to file name separator charactors.  The OP was trying to include a separator charactor, "7D2_".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

That was just general info.

In his first post he said he tried 7D2_   but later said his file numbers for all his cameras started with the underscore & I knew right away what that indicated. Still not sure you can use the underscore in the file name in other positions but it can't be assigned to the first position for the reson I've mentioned.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Esteemed Contributor

@cicopo wrote:

That was just general info.

In his first post he said he tried 7D2_   but later said his file numbers for all his cameras started with the underscore & I knew right away what that indicated. Still not sure you can use the underscore in the file name in other positions ...\

See my post earlier in this thread. I do it all the time with three different camera models (7D, 7D2, 5D3). None of the cameras are set to Adobe RGB, however.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor

This is still great info and I'm happy to have stumbled across it.  However, we just returned from 3 weeks in Antarctica and Chile and tonight realize that all our photos taken with the 7D were in Adobe RGB.  Ugh.  Someone must have been changed the setting at the factory during repair in December, as we have never had the file name begin with underscore in the past, but now we have a few thousand with just that situation.

So now I have to ask is there any way to batch change these files to standard RGB, or are we totally stuck with them as-is? Fingers crossed.

Honored Contributor

@mhomier wrote:

This is still great info and I'm happy to have stumbled across it.  However, we just returned from 3 weeks in Antarctica and Chile and tonight realize that all our photos taken with the 7D were in Adobe RGB.  Ugh.  Someone must have been changed the setting at the factory during repair in December, as we have never had the file name begin with underscore in the past, but now we have a few thousand with just that situation.

So now I have to ask is there any way to batch change these files to standard RGB, or are we totally stuck with them as-is? Fingers crossed.

Did you shoot as RAW or JPEG?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

As mentioned IF you shot RAW no problem, you can batch process the RAW files to conventional sRGB jpg's. No RAW = a lot of processing work.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Occasional Contributor

We're still shooting JPEG.  Haven't yet "graduated" to RAW but need to consider it since memory keeps getting cheaper and there are situations, like this one, where it would be to our advantage.

Esteemed Contributor

I shoot 30,000 images or more per year these days & all of my cameras shoot in RAW + large fine jpg. I rarely use the RAW files but when I need them I have them & in the odd case they do save the day, In poor light & shooting towards the sun I'll fully rely on the RAW rather than the jpgs but with the majority of my photos being shot to share on the internet before the next event jpg's are my preferred platform. 

Occasional Contributor

Interesting.  I hadn't considered before that shooting in RAW (plus jpeg), I wouldn't have to commit to actually using the RAW files -- ha!  We do little editing, mostly cropping and some bumping up of contrast occasionally, so having RAW files just seemed superfluous at our level of skill.  I'll look into this some more.  Thanks to both for your replies.

Esteemed Contributor

Something most don't realize about working with a RAW file is that you are NOT altering it & it's there for you to re edit differently as many times as you might want to, You make changes to what you see on screen but those changes are used to create a jpg & not applied to your RAW file. Over the years RAW processing has progressed big time giving us way more latitude to what we can do to a file.