cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D MkII Naming Files

pjscott51
Enthusiast

I'm trying to name my 7D MkII files to 7D2_. But when I check the file name it displays D2_.

I'm using User Setting1 and on the File Name screen 7D2_ displays.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IF the underscore is at the front of the file name your camera is set to Adobe RGB rather than normal RGB. Unless you specifically need & can edit Adobe RGB jpg's I's recommend switching it. My 7D2 file numbers are 7D2-1234 etc.

Check your Colorspace setting & reset & i'll bet you can then use 7D2 as the prefex.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

@cicopo wrote:

That was just general info.

In his first post he said he tried 7D2_   but later said his file numbers for all his cameras started with the underscore & I knew right away what that indicated. Still not sure you can use the underscore in the file name in other positions ...\

See my post earlier in this thread. I do it all the time with three different camera models (7D, 7D2, 5D3). None of the cameras are set to Adobe RGB, however.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you cicopo, I had the same problem and solved it with changing the colour space back to normal RGB!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@pjscott51 wrote:

I'm trying to name my 7D MkII files to 7D2_. But when I check the file name it displays D2_.

I'm using User Setting1 and on the File Name screen 7D2_ displays.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Paul

There may be an issue with you adding the underscore character at the end.  It is not a legal character to use at the beginning of the filename, so there may be an issue with using it anywhere.  See pages 90-92 of the Instruction Manual.

Try omitting the underscore, and try it exactly as shown in the manual, "7DM2".  I know that the EOS Utility can rename files, and add separator characters, like underscores, in the file names during imports from teh camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Note the info in the blue box at the bottom.

7d-mk2 manual.pdf (SECURED) - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 652016 93047 AM.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

mhomier
Contributor

This is still great info and I'm happy to have stumbled across it.  However, we just returned from 3 weeks in Antarctica and Chile and tonight realize that all our photos taken with the 7D were in Adobe RGB.  Ugh.  Someone must have been changed the setting at the factory during repair in December, as we have never had the file name begin with underscore in the past, but now we have a few thousand with just that situation.

So now I have to ask is there any way to batch change these files to standard RGB, or are we totally stuck with them as-is? Fingers crossed.

@mhomier wrote:

This is still great info and I'm happy to have stumbled across it.  However, we just returned from 3 weeks in Antarctica and Chile and tonight realize that all our photos taken with the 7D were in Adobe RGB.  Ugh.  Someone must have been changed the setting at the factory during repair in December, as we have never had the file name begin with underscore in the past, but now we have a few thousand with just that situation.

So now I have to ask is there any way to batch change these files to standard RGB, or are we totally stuck with them as-is? Fingers crossed.

Did you shoot as RAW or JPEG?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As mentioned IF you shot RAW no problem, you can batch process the RAW files to conventional sRGB jpg's. No RAW = a lot of processing work.

We're still shooting JPEG.  Haven't yet "graduated" to RAW but need to consider it since memory keeps getting cheaper and there are situations, like this one, where it would be to our advantage.

I shoot 30,000 images or more per year these days & all of my cameras shoot in RAW + large fine jpg. I rarely use the RAW files but when I need them I have them & in the odd case they do save the day, In poor light & shooting towards the sun I'll fully rely on the RAW rather than the jpgs but with the majority of my photos being shot to share on the internet before the next event jpg's are my preferred platform. 

Interesting.  I hadn't considered before that shooting in RAW (plus jpeg), I wouldn't have to commit to actually using the RAW files -- ha!  We do little editing, mostly cropping and some bumping up of contrast occasionally, so having RAW files just seemed superfluous at our level of skill.  I'll look into this some more.  Thanks to both for your replies.

Announcements