cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

damgood
Contributor

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

Please send help & coffee! 😉

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
59 REPLIES 59

I understand your frustration! I have been to Microsoft with this problem and and had no success. I reckon the problem lies in the Windows updates but of course they won't hear of any such thing. Good luck with it. I was thinking of rolling back the Windows upgrades but this is the only thing that's annoying me, so I'm considering myself lucky.

Funny how they work fine on my wife's HP desktop and my son's old Dell Inspiron with the same version of Windows 10.

I found that EOSInfo changed the USB driver. I reinstalled Windows 10 and alll my programs, minus EOSInfo and everything works fine.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Would it be possible to rename the camera in Win Explorer from "Unspecified(1)" to "7D Mk II"? And could it possibly make any difference if you did? Smiley Frustrated

I had doubts about doing that but did it anyway and no, (as expected) it did not work. Thanks for your input.

Old thread I know but I had the same problem due to installing the libusb-win32 drivers needed for freeshuttercount.  To revert back you need to Right click it in Device Manager, Update Driver, Browse, Let me pick, select the MTP USB Device and it then works.

jaeandres
Apprentice

::::::PROBLEM:::::::

I was having the same problem on my HP Envy 17 i7 laptop from 2016, but NOT my new Dell g7 17 i7 from 2020. 

I would get the 'USB PLUGGED IN' sound (with supplied cable, and 4 other micro usb cables) but nothing would show up on the windows end. 

However....when I plugged in my Canon 90d, EOS Utility opened right away and my computer asked me "what to do with 90d", AND it showed up in "This PC"

::::::SOLUTION::::::

In device manager I noticed that my 7d mkii was being seen 14 devices down in alphabetical order under "libusb-win32 devices" as "CANON EOS 7D MARK II"

Step1. UNINSTALL THAT DEVICE. 

Step 2. Shut off Canon 7d mkii

Step 3. Turn Canon 7d mkii. 

You will now again hear the USB Recognized sound.....

AND  you should also immediately see the EOS Utility software open up on screen....

As well as be asked by windows what do to with Canon 7d mkii, as well as see the device in "THIS PC"...

And finally, in device manager you will no longer see "libusb-win32 devices", but instead 18 options down in alphabetical order as "portable devices" "CANON EOS 7D MARK II".

In my case, to use the new "Canon webcam utility", you must exit out of "EOS Utility" first, to use your Canon 7d MKII with webcam utility in software such as OBS. 

ENJOY!

using this camera to stream for my channel on www.youtube.com/GettingSoberAgain

Gadgetmandb
Contributor

if you have a canon 7d mk 2 take out the sd card for the wifi then plug usb lead into camera plug lead into computer then switch camera on. all should be well

donroyal
Apprentice

I am having the same problem w 5diii w10 lenovo s30.  Connecting w genuine canon usb cable. computer sees camera.  eosu 2 and 3 will not run

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is a 6+ year old thread. Different camera. Different operating system. Different hardware environment, etc.  Let's let this one go.  Please start your own thread.  

We will do our best to try and help.  Thank you in advance. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements