cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

damgood
Contributor

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

Please send help & coffee! 😉

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
59 REPLIES 59

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“ I am only using the CF card and don't use the WiFi card supplied with the camera. “

Not so simple. I do not think removing the Wi-Fi card will help.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
On fresh installs EOSU seems to default Wi-Fi or LAN mode. It seems unable to switch to USB by itself.

It needs a kick in the right direction. Even worse is that it does always make shortcut for EOS3. You have to go find it and start it manually.

I have manually started the EOS Utilty 3 and ran it (Run as administrator) and this is the result. No Camera detected - all 3 options greyed out. I am giving up on this - it all seems too hard. I have spent enough time trying to get this to work - life is too short.

SH7_ 1106.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I suspect that your Windows 10 PC was not store bought. Does it use a USB port expander. If so, use another port that is not coming off an expander.

It's an Asus MB with 6 USB ports, including 2 USB 3 ports. I have tried in all ports and my 7 port hub. I am an administrator on a photography forum and a member of many forums and there are many others who have this very problem - and ALL are not seeing a solution offered by MS or Canon as yet. I'm sure that in time both companies MAY fix it. If I was the only one with this problem, I would probably just go and buy a new PC off the shelf. Thanks for your understanding with this issue. Cheers.

@Isac wrote:

It's an Asus MB with 6 USB ports, including 2 USB 3 ports. ..... If I was the only one with this problem, I would probably just go and buy a new PC off the shelf. Thanks for your understanding with this issue. Cheers.

That usually fixes just about all of the issues people have when using home brewed machines.  People running off the shelf Asus PCs with AMD CPUs always have problems.

I run an Intel i5 CPU with 8MB ram and have NEVER had down time. Very happy with it. I do however love a challenge and I am going to get together with a computer tech friend of mine who does IT installations for large companies and see if we can sort this out. If we come up with somethong that works, I'll post the fix.

I have a Canon 7D and 7D MkII and my Dell XPS desktop and laptop will not recognize either of my cameras which are connected with the USB cable. I get the 4 beeps when it's connected but that's all. They both worked fine a couple of months ago, now nothing. I use the laptop for tethered shooting.
My wife's HP desktop and son's old Dell inspiron, both running Win 10, does recognize both.

@1oldhabu wrote:

I have a Canon 7D and 7D MkII and my Dell XPS desktop and laptop will not recognize either of my cameras which are connected with the USB cable. I get the 4 beeps when it's connected but that's all. They both worked fine a couple of months ago, now nothing. I use the laptop for tethered shooting.
My wife's HP desktop and son's old Dell inspiron, both running Win 10, does recognize both.

Can you read the memory card in Windows Explorer?

If you are implying that the EOS Utility does not automatically start, I suggest that you go into the C:\Programs folder and start it up manually after you get the four beeps.  I think those two cameras use different versions of the EOS Utility, too.  Might have to do it for each camera.

I'm not implying anything about the EOS utility. I'm saying my computer and software,  Lightroom, Windows Explorer and EOS Utility will not recognize either of my cameras. I use my laptop with Lightroom for tether shooting 

I can and do use a card reader on my desktop

Announcements