cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

damgood
Contributor

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

Please send help & coffee! 😉

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
59 REPLIES 59

I uninstalled ALL canon software because I don't want to use it. Windows 10 should be able to recognise the 7D2 as soon as it's connected via the supplied USB cable. Are you suggesting Windows 10 will only recognise the 7D2 if I have EOS Utility 3 installed?

I hear the 4 beeps tune when I connect the camera and the 3 beep tune when I disconnect the cammera, but no ther action is noticed. My main reason nfor wanting the 7D mark 2 to be recognised by Windows 10 is, I use a great software program to read the shutter count, as Canon insists that this is be a secret - why? I don't know - other camera makes give easy access to this information and even include it their image EXIF data.”

If you are getting the beepity-boppity-boop noises then Windows is seeing the camera.  At this point, you should be able to read the memory card as if it were a USB drive.  Manually starting EOSU 3 should have closed the loop.  

Make sure all remnants of that shutter count application have been fully removed.  Sorry that this is not working out for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Windows is not seeing the camera as a USB drive and EOSU 3 is not seeing it either. Windows sees it as Unspecified (1) labelled "Canon Digital Camera" in "Devices and Printers" but it is not accessible. It should be labelled as 7D Mk II. It comes up in my Windows 7 laptop but not Windows 10.

The shutter count software has been completely removed from the beginning. I'm stumped, so it is what it is I guess. No more Canon stuff for me, I don't need the hassle.

1; install all eos software onto computer

2; take out the WiFi card with the camera switched off.

3;attach computer cable from camera to computer

4;switch on camera

5; all should be well as this is also documented in the manual.... camera will NOT BE RECOGNISED with the WiFi card in the camera. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

" ...  ... After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore, ....  ..."

Wi-Fi?  The 7D2 does not have Wi-Fi.  Are you using a Wi-Fi adapter?  Either make sure the camera is not in Wi-Fi mode, or better yet, disconnect the Wi-Fi adapter.

Yes, I am using the W-E1 WiFi adapter. I thought that was pretty clearly implied since, as you say, "The 7D2 does not have WiFi." I have, of course, tried the connection without the adapter inserted. It made no difference whatsoever. Interestingly, the connection (via USB 3) worked until I introduced the W-E1 into the mix, then all connectivity ceased to function. I thought that may have been relevant & I thought maybe someone else had a similar issue. I will say that I am not super-thrilled that Canon failed to support 802.11ac. That relegates the connection to my older network connection, which means I have to switch connections manually whenever I wish to (theoretically) use the camera via WiFi (which I cannot do anyway).
Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell

@damgood wrote:
Yes, I am using the W-E1 WiFi adapter. I thought that was pretty clearly implied since, as you say, "The 7D2 does not have WiFi." 

No, it was not obvious.  There is more than one Wi-Fi adapter from Canon.  The external adapter is fully featured, and functions the way that you seem to expect.  The Wi-Fi card is really for transferring JPEGs to social media, than for serious camera work, IMHO.

Contact Canon US Support, 1-800-OK-CANON.

1; install all EOS software onto computer

4;switch on camera

5; all should be well as this is also documented in the manual.... camera will NOT BE RECOGNISED with the WiFi card in the camera. 

Paul_65
Apprentice
date :2nd Feb 2018
Got my 7D MK2 For Christmas and have struggled to get it to connect to my MacBook Pro wouldn't show up as a device in Finder. Downloaded new software from Canon to no avail. The fix is simple the Camera will NOT connect over USB if the WE1 Wireless card is installed it has to be removed not just deactivated.
Hope this helps someone else!

1; install all eps software onto computer

4;switch on camera

Announcements