cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mk 2- Painting w/light, TIPS Plz for keeping noise down, 10 to 20 Sec exposures.

Dragbike81
Contributor

Greetings, I enjoy shooting in darkness and painting with light.  Not uncommon for me to use 10 or 20 second exposures or more.  I generally will use a hand held flash light, or pop a strobe by hand.  HOW best can I keep noise down with my new 7D Mk II?  Thoughts, comments or suggestions please.

17 REPLIES 17

@TCampbell wrote:

Tom,

I sent you a private message.  Near the upper-right corner of the web page there's a tiny red envelope icon you can click to access private messages.

As of about 2 days ago (I think) I noticed the Canon community site takes an extremely long time to load a page -- making the site unusable.  But I've been re-checking about once per day in hopes that the issue would be resolved (so far it's still not resolved.)  Consequently, I have not been very active.

(Incidentally, for those who support the site ... I was suspicious that it might be my machien, or a browser plug-in, etc.  I've tried switching browsers, switching computers, and I've even tried when I'm away from the house on a different network (e.g. using the iPad).  It doesn't seem to matter what I use or from where... the painfully long load times persists.)

I suspect that the forum site has been caught up in the problems of the new Canon site, which hit the street last week hideously buggy and nowhere near ready for prime time. Since yesterday evening I've been seeing the slowness you report (although truthfully I haven't found it to be quite as bad as you suggest), as well as another problem you didn't mention: legends at the top and bottom of each page announcing that:

"We're sorry, the page you're looking for cannot be found.

VISIT OUR HOMEPAGE"

And if you click on the link to the (Canon's?) home page, it goes nowhere.

Canon's page itself has settled down a little in the past week, but still has dead links and missing information. My guess is that they hired the same company to write it that they hired to write Version 4 of Digital Photo Professional. The profound lack of pre-release testing is evident in both cases.
Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, there are problems with the site.  And we all struggle with it.  Someone please tell me how to post a photo, or photos to this thread.  Thank you.  Tm

@Dragbike81 wrote:

Yes, there are problems with the site.  And we all struggle with it.  Someone please tell me how to post a photo, or photos to this thread.  Thank you.  Tm

It's one of the icons in the taskbar when you originate or reply to a message.

Bob

Dragbike81
Contributor
Robert, a link please?

@Dragbike81 wrote:
Robert, a link please?

It should be in your Instruction Manual. Apparently the Canon Web siite is screwed up again, so I can't find a link to it. But if the site ever comes back to life, you might be able to poke around and find it.

In one approach that I took, I was able to find the 5D3 manual, but it told me there were no manuals for the 7D2. The Canon site used to be fine. Why on earth didn't they just leave well enough alone?

Bob

Dragbike81
Contributor
Great tip on the sensor issue. I'll have to experiment with 1/2, 1 sec, 2 &4sec to compare noies levels.

Dragbike81
Contributor
Hi, thank you for the input. I'm not with access to my photos now, but will do so tomorrow morning.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Canon could really use some better software programers. Of that there is no doubt.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements