cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark ii - Not Turning on

elduncarno
Apprentice

Hello guys!

I hope you can help me with my 7D Mark ii issue. I was filming with my 7D mark ii when I needed to change the battery, so I turned it off, switched batteries and now it's not turning on at all. I've fully charged both batteries I have and neither of them are making the camera turn on. Faulty battery you might think? But I plug the camera into my computer which should make it turn on, but it shows no sign of life what so ever!

Has anyone else come in contact with this problem? If so how did you fix it? I've looked everywhere and all the fix's seem to be for the first 7D, not the Mark ii. I just want to avoid a very costly repair job.

Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

lly3988
Rising Star

The first thing to look for is in your battery "door" Take a close look at it, you should see a micro switch that will prevent the camera from turning on when the battery is removed. Sometimes that switch gets stuck, or the little nib may even break off. You can try to use a safety pin to depress the switch and see if the camera will turn on. If you find that it is not caused by the battery cover switch, you may have to send it to Canon for repair.

@elduncarno wrote:

Hello guys!

I hope you can help me with my 7D Mark ii issue. I was filming with my 7D mark ii when I needed to change the battery, so I turned it off, switched batteries and now it's not turning on at all. I've fully charged both batteries I have and neither of them are making the camera turn on. Faulty battery you might think? But I plug the camera into my computer which should make it turn on, but it shows no sign of life what so ever!

Has anyone else come in contact with this problem? If so how did you fix it? I've looked everywhere and all the fix's seem to be for the first 7D, not the Mark ii. I just want to avoid a very costly repair job.

Thank you in advance!

It's not true that plugging the camera into a computer should make it turn on. Some USB devices can be powered from a computer, but a Canon DSLR is not one of them. Knowing this doesn't solve your problem, of course, but it may render it less perplexing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The camera can only be powered by it's internal battery (or the special AC adapter which inserts into the battery compartment).  It cannot be powered via USB.

The camera has microswitches that will power off the camera if either the memory card door or the battery compartment door are not completely closed.

Also... a bad memory card can apparently prevent the camera from powering up.  You can test this by ejecting the memory card and testing to see if the camera powers up with no card installed (You might see a "no card" message displayed but at least it would power up.)

If it is the card, you may be able to reformat it first on a computer... then put it in the camera and if the camera will power up then you should reformat the card in-camera (check the option box for a "low level" format the first time you do this.)   It is always recommended that the format on the card be created by the camera and not by a computer (and there are several reasons for this.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jhockin
Apprentice

I am having this exact same problem.   Is there a solution?

Voodooorphan
Apprentice
Thank you 🙏🏽🔮🙏

Voodooorphan
Apprentice
Thank you 🙏🏽🔮🙏 it was the microswitch next to the battery door was sticking
Announcements