cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II or 6D Mark II

Buknoy
Apprentice

Good Day to everyone I'm kinda bit confusing to choose among 7D mark II and 6D Mark II is more the best for a event photographer like me, please give me suggestion because i know you know the best one to choose. Thanks and Godbless.

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks to all of you for this thread, I used to have a 7D Mark I and sold it and waited and waited. I went for the Canon 6D Mark II based on your comments (I also went to a store and tried both cameras myself).

Best Buy had a nice deal $1,499 (Body Only) plus they included a battery grip as a "gift" and some free photo printing credits. Now need to save for a 24-105mm for walkaround, but I mainly shoot macro and family photos when going out.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Buknoy wrote:

Good Day to everyone I'm kinda bit confusing to choose among 7D mark II and 6D Mark II is more the best for a event photographer like me, please give me suggestion because i know you know the best one to choose. Thanks and Godbless.

Define "event", and the types of photos you are looking for.  Will you need to use a flash?  Which camera is best is really up to you, and what it is that you need to do, AND what lenses that you might already own.  I would suggest buying only EF lenses.

Both cameras are equally versatile under near ideal scenarios.  Both have onboard GPS, while the 6D2 adds Wi-Fi connectivity.  The 6D2 has one memory card slot, while the 7D2 has two memory card slots.  

There are a host of differences.  Based upon what little info that you have posted so far, I would say pick one, either one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I would say pick one, either one."

Apparently you don't subscribe to your own advice.  The truth of the matter is any current DSLR makes great photos.  The minute difference you try to ascribe to the 6D and Mk II do not exist in by far most of the situations.  If you say you get 90% keepers that does not mean the 7D2 wouldn't do the same. Just as an example which applies to the other situations or conditions.

I have been at this game far too long and used too many different cameras from several manufacturers to know it is futile to place each in a certain bucket.  Where one may have some small advantage over the other is offset by some other advantage.

"Both cameras are equally versatile under near ideal scenarios."

No they are not.  The 7D2 makes use of ef-s lenses, the 6D can not, that can save some money. Also the better build of the 7D Mk II makes it the better choice in this case.  Those are my opinions and as such is why I state them.  The 6D family is entry level for FF buyers.  The 7D family is more pro level. It is more 5D like.  The 7D Mk II is also slightly cheaper if I remember correctly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

"I would say pick one, either one."

Apparently you don't subscribe to your own advice.  The truth of the matter is any current DSLR makes great photos.  The minute difference you try to ascribe to the 6D and Mk II do not exist in by far most of the situations.  If you say you get 90% keepers that does not mean the 7D2 wouldn't do the same. Just as an example which applies to the other situations or conditions.

I have been at this game far too long and used too many different cameras from several manufacturers to know it is futile to place each in a certain bucket.  Where one may have some small advantage over the other is offset by some other advantage.

"Both cameras are equally versatile under near ideal scenarios."

No they are not.  The 7D2 makes use of ef-s lenses, the 6D can not, that can save some money. Also the better build of the 7D Mk II makes it the better choice in this case.  Those are my opinions and as such is why I state them.  The 6D family is entry level for FF buyers.  The 7D family is more pro level. It is more 5D like.  The 7D Mk II is also slightly cheaper if I remember correctly.

The 7D2 is indeed 5D-like. The controls are virtually identical. My wife once picked up my 5D3 and used it for a couple of hours, thinking it was her 7D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I actually refrained form specking the differences between the two but the 7D Mark II is the more professional camera, the ergonomics, dual card slots, image quality, faster burst rate, and buffer make it a better option at a cheaper price point. 

The 6D even the Mk II is essentially an 80D except for the smaller sensor. OK, the fact the 6D Mark II is better in low light compared to the 7D Mark II is acknowledged.  This can be largely eliminated by lens choice. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for instance will grab that 1 stop difference back.

Like'em or not, those are my reasoning's.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I actually refrained form specking the differences between the two but the 7D Mark II is the more professional camera, the ergonomics, dual card slots, image quality, faster burst rate, and buffer make it a better option at a cheaper price point. 

The 6D even the Mk II is essentially an 80D except for the smaller sensor. OK, the fact the 6D Mark II is better in low light compared to the 7D Mark II is acknowledged.  This can be largely eliminated by lens choice. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for instance will grab that 1 stop difference back.

Like'em or not, those are my reasoning's.

Lens choice?  Good luck using an 18-35mm lens for sport photography, as the OP has indicated.

I would beg to differ on image quality, but I will not argue the point, considering that you have conceded that the 6D is better in low light.  There are more differences between the 80D and the 6D2 than sensor size.  Personally, I dislike having a line of buttons along the left edge.  I think it is bad ergonomics.  BTW, the 1D Series has not buttons in that area.

Like I said, your priorities are different from most consumers.  You want a professional grade camera.  Just because the 7D2 is a best fit for you, does not necessarily make it a best fit for everyone.  Some folks are happier with higher resolution and lower noise at the high shutter speeds, which sports photography almost demands, compared to a higher frame rate.

"...folks are happier with higher resolution and lower noise at the high shutter speeds..."   

The fact the 6D line has a 1 stop advantage at similar high ISO's does not mean in any way the same photos are not totally usable from the 7D Mki II.  There is no stop sign that says, "Oh you can't use those they are 1 stop noisier!"  Most people don't pixel peep!

Also the higher resolution claimed in a 6D Mk II does not result in a better IQ.  In fact most sources besides me say that isn't true.

Again you need to follow your own advice for once!  "Just because the 7D2 6D Mk II is a best fit for you, does not necessarily make it a best fit for everyone. 

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...folks are happier with higher resolution and lower noise at the high shutter speeds..."   

The fact the 6D line has a 1 stop advantage at similar high ISO's does not mean in any way the same photos are not totally usable from the 7D Mki II.  There is no stop sign that says, "Oh you can't use those they are 1 stop noisier!"  Most people don't pixel peep!

Also the higher resolution claimed in a 6D Mk II does not result in a better IQ.  In fact most sources besides me say that isn't true.

Again you need to follow your own advice for once!  "Just because the 7D2 6D Mk II is a best fit for you, does not necessarily make it a best fit for everyone. 

Wow.  I have not recommended a camera, but you already have.  

My recomendation was “take your pick”, because there’s not enough info about the OP’s needs and skills to make an informed recommendation, which is actually advice that you have frequently advocated in the past!

Announcements