cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II or 6D Mark II

Buknoy
Apprentice

Good Day to everyone I'm kinda bit confusing to choose among 7D mark II and 6D Mark II is more the best for a event photographer like me, please give me suggestion because i know you know the best one to choose. Thanks and Godbless.

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I take it you don't own a body or any lenses now?  This might influence your decision. 

The primary differences: 

7d2
65 AF points
Shutter 1/8000
fixed screen
lower iso
4.0 fps

dual card

Dual digic 6

6d2
45 AF points
Shutter 1/4000
Swivel screen
higher iso
6.5 fps

single card

Single Digic 7

If you need to capture fast action, or want to track fast moving targets, the 7d2 might be a better choice.  Otherwise, the 6d2 has more bells and whistles.  It costs just a little bit more, but in my opinion you get more, and right now comes with a good deal more kit if you buy from BandH.  I'm a little biased because I came from a crop body.  Been there, done that. 

It's proven you can take great pictures with a crop format camera.  (I owned one for 2 yrs), but in the end, every real enthusiast I know eventually steps up to FF.  You can always use your EF lenses on your APS-C camera, but not vice-versa.  I'm not saying you'd want to do this, but in many cases its possible. I bought APS-C lenses to use with my old body.  Its a system that works well.  I've since replaced every lens I owned with an EF.

If your events include a lot of high speed action and moving targets get the 7d2.  If you need the assurance that your captures are backed up to a second card, 7d2. 

I take more pictures outdoors.  Landscapes and architecture, staionary targets.  I'm an enthusiast, its a hobby.  If I had a card failure, I'd go back and shoot the pics again.  I don't need to face clients and explain what happened and why the event didn't get captured.  I don't earn a living with my camera. 

My vote is FF....  but remember, I'm biased and was looking to move to FF. There are many good reasons to go APS-C.

I added a comparison link but it got stripped out of the post...  BandH has the best deal on the 6d2 currently. Body+Battery Grip+Battery and More.  There may be refurb deals too, I haven't checked. Hope this gives you a starting point.  Smiley Happy

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Good day to you, too.

The Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera all the way. No hesitation and it doesn't matter what lenses you may or may not have as it will use either EF or EF-S.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority

The 7d2 is a crop sensor camera designed to track fast moving objects with its many AF points.   Its crop sensor crops the image circle in camera giving every shot the field of view it would have had if shot with a 1.6x longer (more telephoto) lens.  The crop sensor puts you at a disadvantage in low light such that at elevated ISO settings it will have a degree of noise/grain and loss of detail as you wouldnt see in a full frame sensor unless it was set at a stop or two higher ISO.  

The 6d2 is a full frame camera. It can give you better image quality in low light. It can give you shallower depth of field in your images.  It has better autofocus than the 6d1 but still not as sophisticated as the 7d. 

When I think of an "events" photographer I think of it including indoor and/or nighttime parties, weddings, concerts, etc.  People indoors and/or at night at weddings, parties and concerts would very often count as low light. The full frame camera would have a distinct advantage there and could make better pictures in that setting.  Dim lighting to a camera may seem plenty bright to your eyes. 

The 7d2 would give you access to a handful of good quality EF-s lenses and a lot of mediocre EF-s lenses, none of which work with full frame. EF-s lenses may cost less than EF lenses so there can be a savings on lenses. If your "events" are outdoor sporting events with plenty of bright sunshine and fast moving track runners or racehorses, the 7d's autofocus would outperform that of the 6d2 for that shooting. If you shoot in the rain the 7d2 has better weathersealing, but still don't go out of your way to shoot in the rain. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

If your "events" are outdoor sporting events with plenty of bright sunshine and fast moving track runners or racehorses, the 7d's autofocus would outperform that of the 6d2 for that shooting.  

I would beg to differ.  Have you ever used a 6D2?  I have used both, and I like the 6D2 better.

My keeper rate with the 6D2 shooting youth tackle and high school football is over 90% with the 6D2, mainly because I can push the ISO, and really raise the shutter speed.  I have no problem shooting at 1/400 under “Friday Night Lights”, with ISO as high as 12800, and f/5.6.  The 7D2 doesn’t come close to that..

Shooting in bright sunshine, my keeper rate is nearly 100%.  The 6D2 tracks extremely well, and captures photos with noticeably less noise than my 7D2.  Do not believe the negative reviews about the 6D2 not being good for action photography.  

I can acquire birds in flight faster with the 6D2 than i can with the 7D2, too.  The 6D2 has 27 f/8 AF points compared to just the one f/8 point with the 7D2.  The seeemingly densely packed AF points actually cover the same angle-of-view as the 80D, and the close spacing provides the AF system with more data to use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

If your "events" are outdoor sporting events with plenty of bright sunshine and fast moving track runners or racehorses, the 7d's autofocus would outperform that of the 6d2 for that shooting.  

I would beg to differ.  Have you ever used a 6D2?  I have used both, and I like the 6D2 better.

My keeper rate with the 6D2 shooting youth tackle and high school football is over 90% with the 6D2, mainly because I can push the ISO, and really raise the shutter speed.  I have no problem shooting at 1/400 under “Friday Night Lights”, with ISO as high as 12800, and f/5.6.  The 7D2 doesn’t come close to that..

Shooting in bright sunshine, my keeper rate is nearly 100%.  The 6D2 tracks extremely well, and captures photos with noticeably less noise than my 7D2.  Do not believe the negative reviews about the 6D2 not being good for action photography.  

I can acquire birds in flight faster with the 6D2 than i can with the 7D2, too.  The 6D2 has 27 f/8 AF points compared to just the one f/8 point with the 7D2.  The seeemingly densely packed AF points actually cover the same angle-of-view as the 80D, and the close spacing provides the AF system with more data to use.

I was by no means denegrating the 6d2. I shot kids sports very well with my 6d1 and its very basic autofocus.

I do, however, have to think that for the one thing 7d2 was built for and in ideal conditions, high speed sports in broad daylight, the 7d2 should pull ahead at some point in extreme autofocus and high frames per second firing rate. If the OP has the budget for the 6d and can forego the EF-s lenses I believe it is the right choice for "event photography" unless they are going to tell us the tvents are all outdoor daytime track meets and includes no weddings or indoor soirées. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I do, however, have to think that for the one thing 7d2 was built for and in ideal conditions, high speed sports in broad daylight, the 7d2 should pull ahead at some point in extreme autofocus and high frames per second firing rate. If the OP has the budget for the 6d and can forego the EF-s lenses I believe it is the right choice for "event photography" unless they are going to tell us the tvents are all outdoor daytime track meets and includes no weddings or indoor soirées. 

The key phrase here is "ideal conditions", meaning a bright, sunny day.  The 7D is really good for shooting on an open field on a sunny day.  Under less than ideal conditions, you get proportionally less than ideal results, just as you would with any camera.

However, the full frame 6D2 does not suffer from the effects of less than ideal conditions as much as the 7D2.  I get better results using the 6D2 with the EF 100-400mm w/1.4x, compared to using the 7D2 with the just the 100-400mm alone.

The primary differences between the AF systems are smaller than you might think.  The 7D2 has six AF presets for AI Servo mode, which use the same settings found in the 6D2.  You adjust the settings manually in the 6D2. 

The only time I might need to change 7D2 AF tracking settings is if I am tracking something small, compared to something large.  So far, the same settings seem to work very well with the 6D2, no matter what I am focus tracking.  The densely spaced AF points feed more data to the tracking system, so it actually works better than the 7D2.

Any future 7D Mark III has a tall order to fill, if it wants to surpass the 6D2's ability to track and focus.  Because right now, the 6D2 gives the 7D2 a full run for the money, and exceeds it IMHO.

"My keeper rate with the 6D2 shooting youth tackle and high school football is over 90% with the 6D2..."

This in no way proves the 7D Mk II would not do the same or even better.  In fact to the average person in regular use, I suspect you could not tell a significant difference.  This comes down to which is more versatile.  The 7D Mk II wins that hands down.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"My keeper rate with the 6D2 shooting youth tackle and high school football is over 90% with the 6D2..."

This in no way proves the 7D Mk II would not do the same or even better.  In fact to the average person in regular use, I suspect you could not tell a significant difference.  This comes down to which is more versatile.  The 7D Mk II wins that hands down.

I have used both.  Switched lenses to the new body.  The 6D2 acquires the desired target more consistently, tracks a target better, lower noise, and gives me better looking photos.  

Just about the only time I use the 7D2 is on a bright sunny day.  If I am shooting Friday Night Lights, I know better than to bring the 7D2.  It cannot go ISO 12800 as well as the 6D bodies.  

Versatility?  When I use the 1.4x extender with my 100-400 L, I get 27 AF points with the 6D2, and only 1 AF point with the 7D2.  Guess which camera tracks a moving subject better.  The 6D2 tightly spaced AF points tracks better, and stays razor sharp.  The width of the viewfinder coverage of the AF points is similar to that of a 1Ds3, which had its' share of unwarranted complaints.

Ernie.  We all understand that you just simply do not like the 6D, for whatever your reasons.  So, I am not going to waste time convincing you otherwise.  But, I will point out just how baseless the arguments that you put forth actually are.  The average consumer really does not value dual card slots as much as you do.  Ditto, for the weather sealing.  The 6D2 has sufficient weather sealing, which is now better than the original 6D.

The average consumer does not need 1/8000 shutter speed.  BTW, how long has it been since the last time you used 1/8000 shutter speed?  I'd bet that you were not shooting sports.

I suggest that you practice what you preach and try a 6D2.  It really does at least as well as the 7D2, and is better overall for shooting action, IMHO.

@Waddizzle wrote:

I've used neither, but as someone who is seriously considering the jump into full frame, the 6D2 is a very attractive offering. And B&H, and others, are selling it for $1699 -- $300 off of the original $1999. This makes it very tempting, given the many favorable reviews the camera has received. I don't quite get the comparison to the crop sensor 7D Mark II, but whatever.

Announcements