cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Viewfinder Issue

Edward1064
Enthusiast

Using my new 7D today to photograph birds, I noticed an annoying issue with the viewfinder.  I almost always use polarizing sunglasses when I use my camera, and with the 7D, the camera shooting data along the bottom of the frame is difficult to read.  I am talking about the aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, and other readouts below the lens view.  It is the greenish-yellow illuminated info.

There are bands of darkness that move across the data readout, and they are caused by polarization artifacts in the readout.  Basically, the light coming from the illuminated readout seems partially polarized.  It only happens when wearing polizing sunglasses.  A brighter display would help, but there seems no way to change this dislay's intensity.  My 60D does not have this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem when wearing polarizing glasses?  Is thre a camera fix?

Thanks!

Edward1064

11 REPLIES 11

@Edward1064 wrote:

Those are good considerations, but I have only one pair of prescription sunglasses, which I use a lot without the camera.  I do like polarizing sunglasses a lot, because of their glare-reduction capability.  But I could buy another pair of prescription sunglasses that do not polarize the light.  

My main non-computer glasses are trifocals, but I have them made from photochromic glass or plastic, so they function s sunglasses outdoors. I don't think they polarize the light; at least I've never had the problems you describe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@TCampbell wrote:

I grabbed a camera body to test this because I couldn't imagine that Canon would actually polarize the viewscreen shooting info display.  There would be no reason to do that.

All LCD's are polarized, it is the way they work. Canon must be using an LCD display with a backlight.

Announcements