cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator in Manual Mode

DesertAura
Contributor

In Manual Mode on the 7D Mark II, with a hard ISO set, the exposure level indicator disappears from the bottom of the viewfinder.  If you switch ISO to Auto, the exposure level indicator appears at the bottom of the viewfinder as expected.

Is there a reason that there is no exposure level indicator visible (except the vertical one on the right side) in Manual Mode when an ISO is set manually?  This seems like it might be a glitch.

Thanks.

Bev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DesertAura
Contributor
I am getting used to the exposure level indicator being only in the vertical, side position when in manual mode. It is still inconvenient in that now when I switch between the 7DM2 and 5DM3, I have to hunt for the exposure meter because it is not the same between the two cameras (in manual mode with a manually set ISO).

So... the apparent solution is to "just get used to it." Not the desired solution, but a doable one.

Bev

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

@Bubblemaker1973 wrote:

I must say that I am a little disapointed in the responses to my post!

It seems that you have all missed the point.

Issues or problems never get addresses unless people place a complaint about them.  

I was under the impression that this forum was to express concerns about canon products in the hopes of having them addressed by canon or other contributors.

This is a legitimate concern that will only be addressed if people complain in large enough numbers. 

The side indicator in the viewfinder I have grown accustomed to from shooting with  the 1D X,  but the omition of the indicator in manual mode on the top LCD screen is a huge shortcomming.

I think that my suggestions are well founded.

The sarcasm and mocking responses on the other hand are not.

Regards  

Bubblemaker1973, I fully agree with your points. I just bought the 7D MKII as a  back-up to my 5D MKIII and find the M-mode Exposure Level Indicator in Manual Mode very unpractical. I like to use the LCD Pannel Exposure Indicator when I shoot with the tripod and I simply do not understand why Canon made this decision. Canon, please move it back and make it compatible with the 5D MKIII.

I sent a 'snail' mail to the North America president of Canon expressing my disappointment in the Mark II.  I got a reply from one of his lieutenants. He said he would pass the information on to Canon in Japan. This was several months ago but no other response.

Thanks for your effort, mpddberry. I am not surprised that you have not received any respose and frankly would be surprised if you ever do. My experience is that their corporate culture is very rigit and it is very hard to level things up through the layers of bureaucracy.

Returned my camera. Not dealing with the missing LCD meter and the disappearing green DOT meter. Twice, because of the sunlight, I couldn't see the dotted meter. If corrections are made, I may consider purchasing a professional camera from Canon. 

I wish I would have returned my Mark II.  I recently missed several good shots of the total eclipse because I could not get the exposure correct by not being able to see the settings.

I am at a critical point in camera choices.  I have several accessories for my Canons, i.e. self timers, remotes, etc.  but full frame lenes are limited in number.  I am considering a full frame camera and since I need new lenses to go with it, I will seriously consider a different brand.

@mpddberry wrote:

I wish I would have returned my Mark II.  I recently missed several good shots of the total eclipse because I could not get the exposure correct by not being able to see the settings.

Why weren't you using Liveview for eclipse shots?

The exposure meter is in the viewfinder, and since you posted about this earlier you knew it was on the right side of the viewfinder. Seems silly that you would blame your gear for your failure. 

TTMartin.....I feel your pain. Why would they change this? At first I told myself I'll adjust (I practiced like a mad woman) but then found I didn't bring the camera to any professional jobs. Couldn't take the chance. Used it for nature shots. Not why I bought the camera....I purchased it for work and of course all other photography. It takes fabulous photos. So beautiful. But....I returned it. Not interested in other bells and whistles that the camera offers. That's just my personal preference. I challenge myself in the M mode - trying to get the image as near to perfection with minimal post production. As I had commented before, I returned the camera. If Canon decides to correct the missing metering bar, I'd considered buying it. I just wish Canon would keep things consistent. Best of luck with your camera TTMartin. 

I appreciate your comments and I understand exactly what you are saying.  What I didn't mention is that I used an adapter to fasten my camera directly to a Schmidt Cassegrain telescope.  The telescope was pointing almost directly up to view the eclipse.  I had the focus set manually and the tracking motor was keeping the sun in position.  I was also working 4 other cameras at the same time. 

During a total eclipse the lighting changes drastically very quickly.  To bend down under the camera that was facing up to get readings was very time consuming -- the total eclipse lasts approximately 2 minutes.  Having been able to look directly into the LCD on the top of the camera would have made life much easier.  I ended up guessing and bracketing exposures on this.  Luckly I was able to get some decent photos but many were not exposed properly.  Also, I didn't fail.TotalName.jpg

So beautiful! Outstanding. 

Time consuming is the problem. I freelance for a newspaper company, weddings, etc. and move quickly at times. Taking that tool away, as you know, changes the process and speed.  Just didn't want to deal with it. As soon as they fix the "quirk" I'll purchase another. It was a fabulous camera except for the missing LCD meter and the dotted meter that disappears in the sun. I really didn't want to return it but I bought it as a backup (in hopes of making it my main camera) but was too stressed. I did call Canon and told them my concerns. ps. So enjoyed your eclipse photo. 

Announcements