cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator in Manual Mode

DesertAura
Contributor

In Manual Mode on the 7D Mark II, with a hard ISO set, the exposure level indicator disappears from the bottom of the viewfinder.  If you switch ISO to Auto, the exposure level indicator appears at the bottom of the viewfinder as expected.

Is there a reason that there is no exposure level indicator visible (except the vertical one on the right side) in Manual Mode when an ISO is set manually?  This seems like it might be a glitch.

Thanks.

Bev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DesertAura
Contributor
I am getting used to the exposure level indicator being only in the vertical, side position when in manual mode. It is still inconvenient in that now when I switch between the 7DM2 and 5DM3, I have to hunt for the exposure meter because it is not the same between the two cameras (in manual mode with a manually set ISO).

So... the apparent solution is to "just get used to it." Not the desired solution, but a doable one.

Bev

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

Bubblemaker1973
Apprentice

I just purchased my 7d Mark II and I am sad to say that I will be returning it due to this issue!    I am EXTREMELY disapointed that the people at Canon could be so negligent is removing such an Essential feature to the camera!   I have been a professional photograher now for over 25 years.  I have owned a 7D since it was released and was so excited to upgrade to the Mark II.    The camera has so many improvements that make it great, however ommitting the exposure level indicator on the outer LCD screen and switching to the right side indicator on in the viewfinder was a complete BRAINFART.   Especially for pros like myself that primarily use manual mode .  Canon should reinstate the indicator on the upper LCD screen and give the option of center lower position OR right side position in the viewfinder.

I am highly regarded by my peers. I have many peers in my field that have been waiting for to review the 7D Mark II before buying and I can tell you that I will NOT be recommending this camera.

Until this issue is resolved, I will be returning my 7D Mark II.

Regards

Bubblemaker

@Bubblemaker1973 wrote:

I just purchased my 7d Mark II and I am sad to say that I will be returning it due to this issue!    I am EXTREMELY disapointed that the people at Canon could be so negligent is removing such an Essential feature to the camera!   I have been a professional photograher now for over 25 years.  I have owned a 7D since it was released and was so excited to upgrade to the Mark II.    The camera has so many improvements that make it great, however ommitting the exposure level indicator on the outer LCD screen and switching to the right side indicator on in the viewfinder was a complete BRAINFART.   Especially for pros like myself that primarily use manual mode .  Canon should reinstate the indicator on the upper LCD screen and give the option of center lower position OR right side position in the viewfinder.

I am highly regarded by my peers. I have many peers in my field that have been waiting for to review the 7D Mark II before buying and I can tell you that I will NOT be recommending this camera.

Regards

Bubblemaker

And soon thereafter, someone shopping at the Canon Store will get a good deal on a "refurbished" 7D2.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

This camera has been out for how long now?  2 years?  And your "peers" have been waiting for your review and based on one feature you're not going to recommend it?  Yeah, I was a little unhappy when they moved that up to the side as well.  But I got over it and now it's not an issue at all.  I've had this camera for 10 months now and I can tell you that you're making a big mistake in sending it back.  But, it's your choice.  Somebody is going to get a mighty fine camera and take some mighty fine images with it.  Too bad it won't be you.  

@Bubblemaker1973 wrote:

Regards

Bubblemaker

I would have expected a highly regarded photographer to be use to the exposure indicator on the right side of the viewfinder, since that is the way it's been in Canon's professional level cameras for years.

I must say that I am a little disapointed in the responses to my post!

It seems that you have all missed the point.

Issues or problems never get addresses unless people place a complaint about them.  

I was under the impression that this forum was to express concerns about canon products in the hopes of having them addressed by canon or other contributors.

This is a legitimate concern that will only be addressed if people complain in large enough numbers. 

The side indicator in the viewfinder I have grown accustomed to from shooting with  the 1D X,  but the omition of the indicator in manual mode on the top LCD screen is a huge shortcomming.

I think that my suggestions are well founded.

The sarcasm and mocking responses on the other hand are not.

Regards

Bubblemaker1973 wrote:

Issues or problems never get addresses unless people place a complaint about them.  

I was under the impression that this forum was to express concerns about canon products in the hopes of having them addressed by canon or other contributors.

This is a legitimate concern that will only be addressed if people complain in large enough numbers. 

The side indicator in the viewfinder I have grown accustomed to from shooting with  the 1D X,  but the omition of the indicator in manual mode on the top LCD screen is a huge shortcomming.

Regards

Perhaps the sarcasm comes from the 'SKY IS FALLING' tone of your post.

The exposure meter on the right side of the viewfinder on Canon's pro-level cameras goes back over 25 years to the EOS 1 series film cameras. 

I thought maybe the exposure scale on the top LCD in manual was a hold over from film days when you didn't have a rear LCD display for that information. But, low and behold the top LCD on the EOS 1N behaves just like the one on the 7D Mk II. 

Exposure information in manual is available on the rear LCD and can be accessed by pressing the INFO button, if you need to see it while on a tripod. What information is displayed when pressing the info button can be set under the 3rd wrench tab under 'INFO button display options'. It can be set that the exposure scale and other settings info can be displayed and turned off with a single press of the INFO button. 

So, excuse my sarcasim, but, I fail to see this as an issue where you should withhold your recommendation of the camera. The 7D Mk II is simply unmatched as a sports and wildlife camera.

@Bubblemaker1973 wrote:

Regards

Pomposity and bombast beget a sarcastic response. It was ever thus. Sometimes such a response may be justified, sometimes not.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Very well said. 

I do many manual exposure shots with the camera on the ground.  I cannot get my eye down on the ground to look through the view finder.  The exposure meter used to be on the top LCD screen making it very easy to make the necessary exposure adjustments.

I believe all of the hardware is in place and that a firmware upgrade could be done if Canon wanted to fix this. 

I am glad others are speaking up, otherwise Canon will be clueless that users are unhappy with their product.

@mpddberry wrote:

Very well said. 

I do many manual exposure shots with the camera on the ground.  I cannot get my eye down on the ground to look through the view finder.  The exposure meter used to be on the top LCD screen making it very easy to make the necessary exposure adjustments.

I believe all of the hardware is in place and that a firmware upgrade could be done if Canon wanted to fix this. 

I am glad others are speaking up, otherwise Canon will be clueless that users are unhappy with their product.

The exposure meter on the right side of the viewfinder on Canon's pro-level cameras goes back over 25 years to the EOS 1 series film cameras. 

If you need to see the exposure meter scale while shooting close to the ground.the exposure information in manual is available on the rear LCD and can be accessed by pressing the INFO button.

What information is displayed when pressing the info button can be set under the 3rd wrench tab under 'INFO button display options'. It can be set that the exposure scale and other settings info can be displayed and turned off with a single press of the INFO button. 

Agree. Firmware upgrade is needed. PLEASE Canon. 

Announcements