cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator in Manual Mode

DesertAura
Contributor

In Manual Mode on the 7D Mark II, with a hard ISO set, the exposure level indicator disappears from the bottom of the viewfinder.  If you switch ISO to Auto, the exposure level indicator appears at the bottom of the viewfinder as expected.

Is there a reason that there is no exposure level indicator visible (except the vertical one on the right side) in Manual Mode when an ISO is set manually?  This seems like it might be a glitch.

Thanks.

Bev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DesertAura
Contributor
I am getting used to the exposure level indicator being only in the vertical, side position when in manual mode. It is still inconvenient in that now when I switch between the 7DM2 and 5DM3, I have to hunt for the exposure meter because it is not the same between the two cameras (in manual mode with a manually set ISO).

So... the apparent solution is to "just get used to it." Not the desired solution, but a doable one.

Bev

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

I just purchased a 7D Mark II and yes the meter is missing from the top LCD panel in the Manual Mode. I may return the camera. Why has this valuable tool been removed?  I just don't understand this. WHY??? I don't want to look on the back screen of my camera for the meter. I rapidly change my camera settings and seeing an empty space where the meter should be is extremely frustrating. I was told that maybe Canon can add an update - told it is an easy fix. I hope so. I don't think I can keep this camera otherwise. Please Canon...please correct this. 

Completely agree. May return my camera. It makes no sense. Why would they do this? Extremely frustrated. 

If we could get enough support on this maybe there could be a firmware upgrade that would fix it.  Everything that is needed is available.

For me it isn't that one location is better than the other.  It is a matter of being able to see the meter.  In high light, extreme visibiltiy conditions -- bright snow it simply isn't visible.  I use manual setting to do creative work and this has totally ruined what is otherwise a beautiful camera. 

Try holding your camera very close to the ground or on the ground and try setting the exposure in manual mode -- impossible to do unless you try to make settings before placing your camera into place.  Canon just wasn't thinking on this one!

DesertAura
Contributor
I am getting used to the exposure level indicator being only in the vertical, side position when in manual mode. It is still inconvenient in that now when I switch between the 7DM2 and 5DM3, I have to hunt for the exposure meter because it is not the same between the two cameras (in manual mode with a manually set ISO).

So... the apparent solution is to "just get used to it." Not the desired solution, but a doable one.

Bev

I just got my 7DMKII and I am dismayed to find the exposure level meter moved / missing when shooting in Manual with the ISO set. I wear glasses and I can't really get my eye close enough to see the indicator on the right unless I really mash up against the camera. I am afraid of damaging my very expensive glasses!

Setting the ISO to "Auto" is not my preffered way of dealing with this. Where do I compain?

@ilex_27 wrote:

I just got my 7DMKII and I am dismayed to find the exposure level meter moved / missing when shooting in Manual with the ISO set. I wear glasses and I can't really get my eye close enough to see the indicator on the right unless I really mash up against the camera. I am afraid of damaging my very expensive glasses!

Setting the ISO to "Auto" is not my preffered way of dealing with this. Where do I compain?

I too wear glasses, and I have trouble seeing the right-hand edge of the frame for the reasons you mention. Annoyingly often, the result is that I end up with the subject displaced farther to the left  than it should be. So if my cameras (5D3, 7D, 50D) had a viewfinder configuration that forced me to look at the right edge, I'd probably regard it as a feature, not a bug.

And I too have a scratch on the right lens of my photochromic polycarbonate (= "very expensive") glassess that may have been caused by contact with a camera. As a result, I'm thinking of switching to actual glass when I get my next pair next month. Glass is heavier than plastic, but it's more scratch-resistant.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cale_kat
Mentor
I think you should return the camera. Please post again when you have done it.

Do you really think that would help? I did call Canon, and they were very nice. He told me to tell anyone else who wants this feature restored to contact Canon as well.

I have given up. I bought the 7D Mk II two years ago n the recommendation of a Mk I user. Canon is totally in the dark on this. It is a mistake. The help desk had NO IDEA what i was talking about. I am selling my unit and thinking whether to stay with Canon (I only have one ES lens). You would have thought after all the so-called good reviews that Canon would know what is happening. I guess the message is: DO NOT TRUST THE REVIEWS!
Announcements