cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator in Manual Mode

DesertAura
Contributor

In Manual Mode on the 7D Mark II, with a hard ISO set, the exposure level indicator disappears from the bottom of the viewfinder.  If you switch ISO to Auto, the exposure level indicator appears at the bottom of the viewfinder as expected.

Is there a reason that there is no exposure level indicator visible (except the vertical one on the right side) in Manual Mode when an ISO is set manually?  This seems like it might be a glitch.

Thanks.

Bev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DesertAura
Contributor
I am getting used to the exposure level indicator being only in the vertical, side position when in manual mode. It is still inconvenient in that now when I switch between the 7DM2 and 5DM3, I have to hunt for the exposure meter because it is not the same between the two cameras (in manual mode with a manually set ISO).

So... the apparent solution is to "just get used to it." Not the desired solution, but a doable one.

Bev

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

I was the orginal poster of this topic. 

I sent a 'snail' mail to the president of Canon.  He gave it to a subordinate.  His subordinate said he would look into it.  That was the last I heard from him. 

What I find interesting is that in manual mode the other new Canons, i.e. 5d Mark IV,  6D, and others have the exposure scale visible on the top of the camera, but not the 7D Mark II.

Physically everything is in place on the 7D Mark II to implement this change.  All it requires is a firmware update.  A sharp programmer could fix this in about 3-4 hours and Canon could roll out the new firmware.

Very disappointed in Canon.

Thanks for your comments. The best advice I got from Canon's helpdesk was to "reset to factory settings". Pretty unhelpful and I felt the folk on the phones were not really preapred to take this any further. Probably they are not encouraged to? i also sent a letter to the UK head office in Reigate a few months back and got no reply. Perhaps Canon should suffer the effects of ignoring its customers?

@cale_kat wrote:
I think you should return the camera. Please post again when you have done it.

So that you can then order it from the refurb shop. Right, Cale?  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

For me, that is not an option any more.  It is too late for that.  I bought Mark-II because my EOS 7D developed problem.  It was flashing the sensor cleaning screen every 2 seconds, even when the camera was turned off.  And if I had a memory card in it, the light was also flashing between the sensor cleaning screen.  I didn't want to spend over $500 to have it repaired.  But I had it repaired it anyway because I thought I'll sell it. The buyer backed out, and now I have two 7D's, original, and Mark-II.  And I am using the original more than the Mark-II because of the Exposure Meter issue with the Mark-II.  It is frustrating.

cale_kat
Mentor
Yes, nothing says I'm dissatisfied and it wrecked my expensive eyewear like a return.

Go for it!

Not sure why you are trying to pick a fight. Maybe I am misinterpreting your sarcasm?

cale_kat
Mentor
No sir, I'm dead serious. You commented three times regarding your disappointment. You haven't received any satisfaction from Canon and I'm pretty certain that this forum won't change anything in the near future. Your best recourse, IMHO, is to return the camera.

Just my 2 cents.

photogeezer
Apprentice

I love this camera.  I HATE it that they eliminated the exposure level indicator in Manual Mode on the bottom of the viewfinder.  There are times (bright sun coming in from the side and wearing glasses) that I can't see that right-side level indicator at all. Please, people, if this bothers you at all, call Canon and complain about this: 1-800-652-2666.  It's possible it can be fixed with a firmware update. 

Cheers,

Jim Esten

Stemolandmar
Apprentice

I can't imagine Canon not changing this in a firmware revision.  This change makes absolutely no sense.  I'll deal with it but I'm not liking it. 

mpddberry
Contributor

The engineers and designers at Canon fell asleep at the wheel or management was pushing too hard to get the Mark II into production!!!!

I am very extremely disappointed with the exposure level indicator in Manual Mode.  If I could take this camera back I would.  For me this is a show stopper. 

I am currently in Switzerland and wanting to do some manual exposure settings for some creative shooting in some snow scenes.  The exposure meter in the viewfinder at times just isn't visible. 

Once I get my camera set on a tripod I have to look through the view finder to set the exposure in the meter that I cannot see.  On my 7d I could look at the screen on top of the camera and set the exposure in a screen that was easy to see. Now I CANNOT! 

Canon has taken creativity away for their automatic settings.  Canon really took a camera with some really great features and ruined it!

Announcements