cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator in Manual Mode

DesertAura
Contributor

In Manual Mode on the 7D Mark II, with a hard ISO set, the exposure level indicator disappears from the bottom of the viewfinder.  If you switch ISO to Auto, the exposure level indicator appears at the bottom of the viewfinder as expected.

Is there a reason that there is no exposure level indicator visible (except the vertical one on the right side) in Manual Mode when an ISO is set manually?  This seems like it might be a glitch.

Thanks.

Bev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DesertAura
Contributor
I am getting used to the exposure level indicator being only in the vertical, side position when in manual mode. It is still inconvenient in that now when I switch between the 7DM2 and 5DM3, I have to hunt for the exposure meter because it is not the same between the two cameras (in manual mode with a manually set ISO).

So... the apparent solution is to "just get used to it." Not the desired solution, but a doable one.

Bev

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

Well, I already bought EOS 7D M2, to upgrade from EOS7D. I heavily use the exposure meter in Manual mode.  It was very convenient in 7D.  Now, in M2, it is an inconvenience, because it is not clearly visible in Manual mode.  It is an annoyance, and I am not happy about it.  

I wrote to Canon via 'snail mail' and received a reply they would look into changing the firmware.  That was over a year ago and after that intitial response there was no more communication.  I have not used my 7D MII in over a year.  I could have been a perfect camera but it is not. 

I have had thoughts of posting about it on Facebook to get more exposure but I have not done that. 

@mpddberry wrote:

I wrote to Canon via 'snail mail' and received a reply they would look into changing the firmware.  That was over a year ago and after that intitial response there was no more communication.  I have not used my 7D MII in over a year.  I could have been a perfect camera but it is not. 

I have had thoughts of posting about it on Facebook to get more exposure but I have not done that. 

While it is always nice to have flexibility in customizing the camera's settings to fit the way you do things. I'm happy with the Pro layout of the 7D Mk II's exposure meter. 

I agree with you that the change is horrible.  The indicator has completely disappeared on the top of the camera which makes no sense to me, either.  I truly hope a firmware upgrade will get the indicator back wherre they were on the original 7D.  This is almost a deal breaker, as I almost always shoot in Manual and use Spot Metering.  Bad Bad Choice, Canon!

One good thing is that it is still available on the Quick menu, but that does not make up for the loss!!Smiley Sad

So you've actually held a 7DMkII and made this determination? Or are you just repeating what others have said/written?

I have one in my hands right now!  There is no indicator on the top of the camera in Manual and only a tiny indicator on the right hand side of the view finder.  I called Canon to ask if this was a problem with my camera, but was told that it is one of the "quirks" of the camera.  I seriously hope they change it.

They actually told you it was a "quirk"?  That is some irresponsible customer service and very unlike Canon.  I'm surprised and dismayed to hear that.

Irresponsible? Wow! A quirk isn't a negative. Not even close.

"A quirk" is not an answer, and it is certainly not used to describe an intentional feature. "Quirk" is a mush term, like "undocumented feature," that is used to avoid saying "bug," "oversight," or "mistake." Proper customer service would have explained the reason for the "quirk," as in why the decision was made to remove the exposure level indicator from the viewfinder.

But, I'm not the one who talked to customer support about it so I won't say anymore. I just think a better explanation is deserved by the customer than to simply say it is a "quirk" of the camera.

I thought it was rather nice getting a straight answer! That way, I know that I have not missed a setting and can try to complain about it and hopefully cause a change!
Announcements