cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator in Manual Mode

DesertAura
Contributor

In Manual Mode on the 7D Mark II, with a hard ISO set, the exposure level indicator disappears from the bottom of the viewfinder.  If you switch ISO to Auto, the exposure level indicator appears at the bottom of the viewfinder as expected.

Is there a reason that there is no exposure level indicator visible (except the vertical one on the right side) in Manual Mode when an ISO is set manually?  This seems like it might be a glitch.

Thanks.

Bev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DesertAura
Contributor
I am getting used to the exposure level indicator being only in the vertical, side position when in manual mode. It is still inconvenient in that now when I switch between the 7DM2 and 5DM3, I have to hunt for the exposure meter because it is not the same between the two cameras (in manual mode with a manually set ISO).

So... the apparent solution is to "just get used to it." Not the desired solution, but a doable one.

Bev

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63

cale_kat
Mentor

I'm going to download a copy of your manual... I'll get right back to you ... Haha.

Yep, the exposure "level" meter appears on the right side...  what was the question? Haha.

The question regards the missing exposure level meter that is normally on the bottom of the viewfinder. If you switch to, say, Aperture Priority, or leave it in Manual Mode and switch to Auto ISO, you will see that the exposure level meter shows up on the bottom inside the viewfinder.

Yep. I just got through reading the DP thread you started and I gather there is modest interest in the idea that one place is better than the other. And so...

Page 222 of the full online user manual appears to indicate that this "problem" is intentional. I still don't understand WHY Canon chose to omit the bottom exposure level scale when in Manual mode. The one on the right side is dim, hard to see, and can even disappear from view completely if you shift your gaze while looking through the viewfinder.

One of my joys of upgrading from the 7D to the 7DM2 was that the external controls match my 5DM3. No more mental gymnastics as I switch between cameras while shooting. But now there's a difference inside the viewfinder! Arg.

I'm just the oppoite. I wait until the dust has settled before buying the gear. I lived on the "bleeding" edge just long enough to know that I really prefer well-sorted out equipment. Hence, I own a 5DMkII purchased refurb at 40% off summer 2013 and a 7D purchased refurb at 40% off just over a month ago. They aren't the "bleeding" edge but they are well matched.

I think the 5D3 and 7D2 are also well-matched... except for this current issue I have with the 7D2, that is!

Waiting and buying refurb is a smart and frugal choice.

Yes... I am hopelessly behind the times. Still.... you have to be pretty impressed with your new 7DMkII. Just saying..

Cheers!

Oh, I am definitely impressed with it! I am amazed at the image quality.

Canon has consistently delivered where it matters most.

Announcements